Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529863 times)

Offline X42

• Just got here
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #2100 on: 22 December 2019, 18:14 »
That looks very nice, Jim!

I've just spent an unpleasant hour and a half washing bits of the New Forest from my Golf.  It's one of the great ironies that we have to spend more time cleaning cars when the weather is, frankly, unsuitable for car cleaning.

It's damp, and while the water doesn't evaporate and leave residual spots on the paintwork, it doesn't dry properly either.

I hate winter.

You and me both. I was wiping away at the rooftop for about 20 minutes when I realised all I was wiping was condensation. I managed to snag a free box from VW containing the full Diamondbrite Protection Kit.

It’s a used car GTI I’ve picked up but I’m a bit of a clean freak and always give a car a full once over if it’s been used before.

Started with a full dust down of the car
Pressure wash
Diamondbrite Shampoo sponge wash
Pressure wash X2 rinse and chamois dry
Waterless wash & wax all car clean and wipe
Diamondbrite Stage 1 & Stage 2 applied to all panels
Fast Glass / Meguairs Tire Gel applied

So the diamondbrite stuff does give off an absolutely lovely shine. I’m yet to see it’s “lifetime guarantee” and would be interested to see if it really does repel rain and protect the car. Still need something for the alloys, I’ve found the 19 inch Santiago’s to be particularly difficult to clean. Any recommendations from anyone for these?

Couldn’t get any pictures unfortunately as today is Winter Solstice and it was already sunset by the time I finished.

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2101 on: 22 December 2019, 18:47 »
I treat my Santiagos to a coating or two of Gtechniq C2v3. A powerwash gets the worst of the muck off then a mf wheel mitt for the faces, behind the spokes and the gulley behind the spokes. Wheel Woolies sort out the barrels a treat and I always give them a spray of QD. I try and get them off the car occasionally for a more thorough clean which probably doesn't take that much longer and keeps more of my skin on my hands rather than on the disc backing plates :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2102 on: 24 December 2019, 11:16 »
GTechniq is the answer to most questions about keeping wheels looking good in winter.

They still become plastered with crud and brake dust, but a coating of GTechniq (I use C5) at least makes it come off easily, either with a pressure washer or snow foam.

There's no point in becoming too precious about the state of the roads, and the amount of crud which transfers itself to your car during the winter months, which seem to last from September to May.  All you can do is try to make it easier (or less of a problem) to remove.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2103 on: 14 February 2020, 15:09 »
I've taken advantage of the lull before Storm Dennis to wash parts of Hampshire from the car, and give the paintwork a coat of Gyeon Quick Detailer, which I must say isn't the best QD that I've used.

It seemed like a good idea when I bought it, because I use Gyeon Bathe+ shampoo to wash the car, but the QD can leave some light smears on the paint. It's not as user-friendly as my favourite Quick Detailer, Poorboys QD+, which leaves a nice finish, and has Carnauba in it.  Carnauba is like catnip for me!

Still, at this time of year it's more about protection than appearance, and given how well the Bathe+ makes water bead and makes washing easier, I'm not complaining.

Apart from taking my son to collect his new (to him) Polo GTI this evening, I'm planning a weekend indoors!

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2104 on: 10 March 2020, 15:20 »
A good day, weather-wise, so out with the power washer and snow foam!  Followed by a spritzing with citrus pre-wash, a good rinse, shampoo with Gyeon Bathe+ and a quick coat of Gyeon Quick Detailer. 

I had bought a bottle of Gyeon snow foam several months ago, but the appalling weather of recent weeks has meant shampoo and dry only, but apart from the wind being a bit gusty today, it was ideal for a full-on clean, and I'm really pleased with the result.

You may have guessed by now that I'm quite keen on Gyeon stuff, and the results and beading show that it leaves a very good hydrophobic coating.  Snow foaming is a bit of a pain at the moment, requiring a long extension lead, but I'm in the process of having a power socket installed in my parking space, which will make life easier.  For now, I'm happy with what I achieved today - I might have a go at giving the wheels another coating of GTechniq C5 tomorrow, and treating the black trim with some Auto Finesse Dressle, which always makes the car look better, as it emphasises the contrast with the white paint.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2105 on: 12 March 2020, 15:29 »
And now finished.

Yesterday I treated the black plastic trim with Auto Finesse Dressle, and today I polished the tailpipes with the Autoglym alternative to Solvol Autosol, wiped the tyres with Gyeon Tyre Dressing and gave the wheels a coat of GTechniq C5:

Rain is now guaranteed for the next forty days and forty nights.

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2106 on: 12 March 2020, 16:49 »
Looking good there Dr Mike and yes, biblical downpours are guaranteed :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline hepton

• Not said much yet
  • 2017 GTD
« Reply #2107 on: 25 March 2020, 23:03 »
First proper wash in 5 months  :shocked:
grime out on wheels & tires then rinse
gyone iron remover on wheels then rinse
auto gylym snow foam ,soak then rinse
bilt hamber shampoo wash then rinse
clayed ....
bilt hamber snow foam then rinse
dryed
bilt hamber double speed wax
tyres and trim gyone q2 tire
windows polished & exhaust
SHINEY AS....HAPPY NOW :grin: :grin: :grin:
THE JOYS OF SOCIAL DISTANCING

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2108 on: 27 March 2020, 20:29 »
Good effort there hepton! Any photographic evidence?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline hepton

• Not said much yet
  • 2017 GTD
« Reply #2109 on: 28 March 2020, 12:54 »
Good effort there hepton! Any photographic evidence?
Didnt take any mate ,covered in bird poo next morning :angry: