Author Topic: Is 2006 gti a timing belt or chain ?  (Read 32015 times)

Offline matthewsimone

• GTI forum regular
Is 2006 gti a timing belt or chain ?
« on: 18 February 2009, 21:30 »
Hi all just a quick one, is the mk5 gti a belt or chain as read another post and someone was going on about a noisy timing chain but i was always under impression that they had belts on them to be renewed at 60k or something ???

Offline Dogbucket

• GTI forum regular
  • Golf R32 / TVR Chimaera 450
Re: Is 2006 gti a timing belt or chain ?
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2009, 21:45 »
Yes the 2.0 FSI aka mk5 GTI is a belt; the 3.2V6 aka R32 is a chain. The brand new 2.0TSI (or something) is a chain iirc

Offline bacillus

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2009, 21:54 »
The brand new 2.0TSI (or something) is a chain iirc
correct
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2009, 01:36 »

Yep, and having now done 60k miles, my belt is being changed next week.
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2009, 10:36 »
To be pedantically correct, the 2.0TFSI has both!  :tongue:

It has a replaceable belt at the front end of the engine (the end furthest away from the flywheel  :wink:).  This takes the drive from the crankshaft to only the exhaust camshaft.  At the opposite end of the engine, a simplex chain takes drive from the exhaust camshaft and transmits drive to the inlet camshaft via an adjusting unit which provides the adjustment to the variable valve timing for the inlet valves.  :nerd:

And for all those who are having their timing belts replaced, please make sure they not only replace the actual belt, but also the two idler/relay rollers and the tensioning roller.  If they order the timing belt KIT, rather than just the belt alone, all those bits are included.

And another very important piece of advice - I would strongly recommend getting the water pump changed (and the coolant renewed) at the same time as the timing belt.  Although the water pump is not considered a 'maintenance item', it is fairly common for the water pump to fail very shortly after the timing belt is changed.  This isn't a VAG-specific issue - it actually affects all engines from all manufactures who use the timing belt to drive the water pump.  There is a reason why the pumps fail shortly after the timing belt change - if you wanna know more, then ask away.
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline Pando

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2009, 11:46 »
tell me more please :smiley:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2009, 12:20 »
Well, basically, the reason why water pumps go t!ts up shortly after a timing belt change seems to be a result of different forces being applied in different directions (compared to those experienced during normal operations) whilst the belt is being removed, the new one fitted, re-aligned, re-tensioned.
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2009, 12:24 »
^^^^
T-T, that's a quality post - My faith in you is restored! [for now! :evil:]

I'm about to have a chat with my trusted VW dealer [no, I'm not being sarcastic :grin:]

:afro:

P.S. - I think our relationship is one of Love/Hate, but no, I'm not getting a room with you!

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2009, 12:26 »
Robin if you do decide to change the water pump at the same time (and I agree it should be done) could you, if possible, take a look at the old/new parts and confirm whether the pump impellors are made of plastic or metal? Would be much appreciated :afro:

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2009, 13:06 »
^^^^
@ topher - Yep, will do. Won't be a problem as I have workshop access at my VW dealer's.

:afro: