Author Topic: Trackers - Worth it?  (Read 5769 times)

Offline AndyWard

• Not said much yet
Trackers - Worth it?
« on: 01 November 2013, 10:45 »
How much would actually putting a tracker on the car save on insurance, is it worth the cost of the tracker compared to the insurance saving,

I know hard to give exact numbers but do they affect quotes that much?

Thanks
10 Plate, Silver DSG,  APR Stage 2, APR TBE, Carbonio Intake 1 + 2, Bilstien B8 + VWR Springs, Eibach Front & Rear Roll Bars Powerflex Bushings, TyrolSport Subframe Deadset Collars, Whiteline Endlinks Front & Rear, Neuspeed TOP and Intercooler Pipe, R8 Coilpacks,

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Trackers - Worth it?
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2013, 10:54 »
do you know they can be blocked with a cheap gps blocker  :sad:

Offline skyinsurance

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 01 November 2013, 11:25 »
It is impossible to answer, your price could actually go either way with some insurers.

In our case, we only usually ask for trackers for high value/risk cars and in certain high risk postcode areas.

Thanks

Ollie
Sky Insurance
Tel: 01707 642552

Offline AndyWard

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2013, 21:39 »
do you know they can be blocked with a cheap gps blocker  :sad:

Not surprising tbh

It is impossible to answer, your price could actually go either way with some insurers.

In our case, we only usually ask for trackers for high value/risk cars and in certain high risk postcode areas.

So in most cases would be a personal preference rather than any form of saving or requirement :)
10 Plate, Silver DSG,  APR Stage 2, APR TBE, Carbonio Intake 1 + 2, Bilstien B8 + VWR Springs, Eibach Front & Rear Roll Bars Powerflex Bushings, TyrolSport Subframe Deadset Collars, Whiteline Endlinks Front & Rear, Neuspeed TOP and Intercooler Pipe, R8 Coilpacks,

Offline skyinsurance

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 04 November 2013, 13:18 »

So in most cases would be a personal preference rather than any form of saving or requirement :)

In our experience, yes.

Offline legg360

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 04 November 2013, 19:48 »
I had a look at getting a tracker fitted to my bike as they are so easy to steal, cost was around £300 to be fitted then like another £45 a year for the subscription but my insurance only went down by like £20.

Id say get a quote for fitting and then the year cost every year after, then phone your insurance company and ask them how much you will save.

If you not looking to save money and jus have it as piece of mind as some of the trackers phone you/ text you when the car is moved towed lifted ect then I might be worth it to know your baby is still going to be there in the morning.
Golf GTI MK6 5dr Manual - Candy White with Jacara Cloth, Vancouver 18" Alloys, RNS 510, Cruise Control, Carbon Vinyl Wrap Roof, Milltek 3" Race Cat Back.

Offline skyinsurance

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 05 November 2013, 12:36 »
I'm of a view (more so with new high value cars & Motorbikes) if someone else has been driving/riding it without my permission, I'm not sure I'd actually want it back.

Offline AndyWard

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 13 November 2013, 10:08 »
I'm of a view (more so with new high value cars & Motorbikes) if someone else has been driving/riding it without my permission, I'm not sure I'd actually want it back.

Could be one way to look at, defiantly not going to bother with one me thinks

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 13 November 2013, 12:45 »

Thats my view too.
wouldnt feel right.

would be like sleeping with your girl friend after your mate has had a go of her the day before  :grin:

from what iv seen, the cost of installation and anual charges for trackers almost outweigh the cost saved on insurance.

Offline wegotitugetit

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 10 December 2013, 14:52 »
wife passed her test not long back when we looked at insurance they said it would work  out cheaper with a treacker when we asked who much they said £3.00 less but if you drive like a numpty it would go up  :laugh: