Author Topic: BUYING GUIDE Mk3 Golf Rust  (Read 66364 times)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: Mk3 Golf Rust Buyers Guide----Sticky?
« Reply #40 on: 13 May 2011, 16:44 »
They're riveted from the factory so if yours had screws holding it on then it's been taken off at some point in it's life and not re-fitted correctly. This would explain why yours became so rusty due to the ingress of water through all the poxy screw holes.

We are talking about sill trim yes? I didn't think sill trim was riveted on?

They are not, screws are fitted from new I even checked with VW  :smiley:

Offline madmanmart

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 13 May 2011, 17:45 »
They're riveted from the factory so if yours had screws holding it on then it's been taken off at some point in it's life and not re-fitted correctly. This would explain why yours became so rusty due to the ingress of water through all the poxy screw holes.

We are talking about sill trim yes? I didn't think sill trim was riveted on?

They are not, screws are fitted from new I even checked with VW  :smiley:

You are correct, screws along the bottom and a pop rivet at either end. But if you undo the screws at the bottom edge then you can peal it up for a sneaky peak. :)

As regards to arches, you can try to peal them back for a look but the best bet is to see if you can move the arch at all due to the rivets on them being rotted out. ( Ive seen this alot).

Mk3 Golf 3dr GTI 16v
Mk3 Golf Cabriolet TD
20vt Corrado track car project

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #42 on: 14 May 2011, 00:33 »
Sorry yes of course the lower section of the sills are screwed on, for some reason i started thinking about arch trims. Doh!

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #43 on: 22 August 2011, 09:49 »
So later mk3 = cheap steel and rust
Early mk3 = not galvanised and rust

Im not going tohave to get a mk4 am I lol.

Early MK3 is like a mk2, absolutly sh!t loads of underseal and rust protection covering all the underbody, inside the doors, basically all the places where you dont see

late cars dont have any of this but have a crappy galvernised ssteel thats not much cop

Ben had a car thats worse than the one in the pic,  the 1997 highline we broke for his engine, he still has it on his drive.

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline kaine2010

• Not said much yet
« Reply #44 on: 13 December 2011, 00:29 »
i have a mk3 which i have just brought its a 1996 gti and has a few problems the one i discovered today is that the sills have rotten underneith the  plastic covering im just wondering what i should do can i fix this myself ? if not how much are replacement sills and where can i find them theres also rust on the wing which i have treated and on the top  of the boot which i have also treated please help !!!! only had the car 2 weeks and dont know if its just a money pit 

Offline search

• I live here
Re: BUYING GUIDE Mk3 Golf Rust
« Reply #45 on: 06 February 2015, 22:30 »
Hey, they door sills rust. how is that treated? or fixed? cheers.
Golf mk3 1.4 (sold)
Golf mk2 1.3 (sold)
Golf mk3 1.6