Author Topic: getting started, help needed.  (Read 3753 times)

Offline beppe2672

• Here all the time
getting started, help needed.
« on: 09 February 2013, 15:16 »
Hey guys, I'm a mechanic in the British army and I've come up with the idea of starting a 'car club' at work.
 The idea is to essentially create a track car whilst giving the younger/newer vehicle mechanics experience working on actual cars instead of tanks and trucks. We have a fully equipped work shop, our own metalsmiths/welders, access to raw materials but limited funding (unless I can source sponsorship). I just want to be able to teach our vm's a few things whilst having a bit of fun and having something to show for it at the end. Ideally I'd like to start with a vw platform as its something I'm familiar with (I'm on my 6th golf). Any ideas where to start?
 I'm a complete noob when it comes to building a track car and my racing experience is limited to a few laps of the Nuremberg ring and 2 runs down the 1/4mile strip at santa pod in my ed30. I appologise for the wall of txt but I could do with some advise!     
1999 1.8t AGU, KNN Panel filter, Smoothed air box, Custom CAI, Forge 007 dv, REVO stage 1, 3" eBay TBE. Audi TT quickrack.

To come - A DIY hybrid K03 and a whole lot of supporting mods!

Offline Reem Racing

• GTI forum regular
Re: getting started, help needed.
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2013, 18:56 »
What car you thinking of starting on mate?

The Volkswagen drag racing club have a test day on the 15th March at Santa pod which would be a good chance to check out drag racing

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2013, 18:59 »
I am guessing the Army will have the equivalent  of the RAFMSA - royal air force motor sports assoc. ?

maybe worth while contacting them for advice and assistance regarding an official way forward. :afro:

Offline beppe2672

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2013, 20:58 »
I'm considering a mk2 and probably going for an engine conversion (cash dependent). The official side of things is slowly getting sorted via a lengthy string of emails. Just need advice on modyfiying the car. Apart from stripping the thing out I'm not sure what to do.
1999 1.8t AGU, KNN Panel filter, Smoothed air box, Custom CAI, Forge 007 dv, REVO stage 1, 3" eBay TBE. Audi TT quickrack.

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
« Reply #4 on: 09 February 2013, 21:45 »
Read the sticking the this section  :smiley:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=84118.0

R-tech custom remap - k04-001- 250bhp/311ftlb  :grin:

"Project track car" has begun :grin:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=247202.0

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2013, 20:33 »
I am guessing the Army will have the equivalent  of the RAFMSA - royal air force motor sports assoc. ?

maybe worth while contacting them for advice and assistance regarding an official way forward. :afro:

This.

Either go for something that can be incredibly fast and used for hillclimbing.

Or properly research the formulas and regulations out there and build something to the regs for a championship.

Start with the 750 Motor Club.

RAFMSA won the 750MC's 6 hour relay race in 2011.  Although I know there'll be some rivalry between the forces it is probably worth talking to them and maybe even collaborating with them!
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline beppe2672

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 11 February 2013, 00:19 »
Cheers for your help so far guys, been doing a lot of research into this so far, and I came across 'rally for heroes'. I fired an email their way to ask what the best way of getting into this kinda thing was, given the kinda time frame I'm expecting to have a car ready we'll be aiming to take part in the 2014 road rally they're organising, they also have regular Nuremberg ring events. Looking at picking up a mk2 platform over the next few months and I've got a rough idea of what needs doing to the car. So in about 6 months time I'll be pestering you guys for sponsorship to raise enough for the entrance fee! Cheers guys!
« Last Edit: 11 February 2013, 00:24 by beppe2672 »