Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2773881 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #9700 on: 15 September 2019, 13:06 »

#nofilter😎

The car and wheels both look fantastic, good work!  :afro:

TransAlloy Wheels in Leeds: https://www.yorkshirealloywheelrepairs.co.uk
I'm very happy with the result, makes the car look new again. Anthracite (with a little bit of sparkle) instead of the the gloss black looks cleaner for longer and goes well with the silver paint. Also makes the tyres looks blacker, if you know what I mean. :smiley:

It’s a really good idea having the wheels done that colour, similar to the paint scheme on the original Mk5 GTI Monza IIs. The grey is far more practical than the black and looks great

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #9701 on: 16 September 2019, 10:12 »

Some people fear going to the dentist. I fear MOT's.

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #9702 on: 16 September 2019, 10:26 »

Looking good and it will all be fine!
« Last Edit: 16 September 2019, 10:29 by andy28 »
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #9703 on: 16 September 2019, 13:09 »

Looking good and it will all be fine!

Advisory on tyres which I knew about. Asked about the discs and pads as VW mentioned them when it was in for service and he said they were fine. Probably just VW fishing for work.

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #9704 on: 23 September 2019, 09:07 »
Changed my DSG paddles for S2T ones  :cool:

I had some Racingline(ish) ones as I couldn't justify the price but I saw some 2nd hand ones on Friday and went for it. I can only echo what Booth11 and others have said before, they look and feel fantastic!

Before

Now
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9705 on: 23 September 2019, 09:17 »
Changed my DSG paddles for S2T ones  :cool:

I had some Racingline(ish) ones as I couldn't justify the price but I saw some 2nd hand ones on Friday and went for it. I can only echo what Booth11 and others have said before, they look and feel fantastic!

Now

They look great Andy! I much prefer the solid look, the cut out ones don’t really suit the Golf in my opinion. It does bug me why they didn’t fit something a bit larger to the performance Golfs. Merc and BMW manage it, even in their mildly sporty models.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #9706 on: 23 September 2019, 09:39 »
Cheers Jim and I agree - the stock paddles are hard to use in comparison to these.
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9707 on: 23 September 2019, 16:27 »
The ultimate indignity, taken it to the tip :shocked: :whistle:

On Saturday though it took me to the Bluebell Railway where I drove this:

https://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/65/jh16.html

And what a treat it was too, even being the fireman was very enjoyable. I'd thoroughly recommend booking an experience with them :smiley: I'd like to add that I'm not a train buff but enjoy learning about the engineering and the mechanics. I hadn't realised just how much there was to it. Apparently most drivers take 10 years to qualify!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #9708 on: 28 September 2019, 19:13 »
Changed the rear discs and pads myself. 85km and the rear pads completely gone. The discs were very corroded and grooved. Looks like very poor quality. Replaced with quality Brembo discs and pads. Will also be keeping the handbrake off as much as possible when parked up for the evening as the pads sure do like to weld themselves onto the discs. Just for information l, the front discs are perfect and plenty of meat left on the front pads. Rear discs and pads were very easy to change but VCDS or similar required to retract the piston.
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9709 on: 29 September 2019, 10:52 »
Changed the rear discs and pads myself. 85km and the rear pads completely gone. The discs were very corroded and grooved. Looks like very poor quality. Replaced with quality Brembo discs and pads. Will also be keeping the handbrake off as much as possible when parked up for the evening as the pads sure do like to weld themselves onto the discs. Just for information l, the front discs are perfect and plenty of meat left on the front pads. Rear discs and pads were very easy to change but VCDS or similar required to retract the piston.

Strange how the rears wore out first. Maybe the chassis control favours the rear brakes more to balance the handling?

@ Watts, the steam train driving sounds fun! There’s hard work and there’s proper hard work and I’d imagine it fell into the latter category. My eldest son was really into Thomas the Tank and I seem to recall the Bluebell Line featuring in that(?). I also remember him wanting to know all about the workings of steam engines and all the tanks and valves and pistons and...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner