Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 627034 times)

Offline Neil C

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #3010 on: 29 April 2020, 21:56 »
The badges were £22 plus postage for the pair. Fitting is a doddle if you know what you are doing , there are Youtube videos if you are unsure. The front badge is very easy , you turn it a bit anti clockwise and then  pull it towards you to remove it from the rest of the grille. The rear one is a bit more trickier , you need to take your time so as not to break the original. I already had my rear badge seperated previously to fit the colour coded inlay.
I have trim removal tools but you could use a small flat screwdriver if thats all you have , just be very careful incase it slips and you scratch the surrounding paintwork.

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3011 on: 30 April 2020, 20:40 »
That's a fair price given the quality. I saw a youtube video of a bloke removing the front badge and he took the entire grill off and was fiddling around with it for 30 mins (so he said) to get the badge off. I wonder if they updated it in later models to make it harder?

I'll definitely do at least the rear inlay. The chrome badge itself isn't too bad it's just the black plastic that looks a bit bad.
2010 Mk6 GTI

Offline Neil C

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3012 on: 02 May 2020, 17:46 »
My car when i bought it 6 months ago :

And how it is now :

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3013 on: 02 May 2020, 21:31 »
Fitted LED interior lights to my Mk6 today. It was easier than I thought it would be. Took under an hour total for all 11 lights. I saw some videos on Youtube where they unscrewed the entire top bit for the front reading lights, but you can just pop out the single piece of light trim with a trim tool.

I did break one of the fittings for the vanity mirror lights, though. Oh well.

It looks really nice at night now.

I gave the car its first proper wash today as well. Planning to do a full polish/correction at some point. But I need to sort out the stone chips first. I noticed one nasty one that has actually started to rust on one of the door panels. I'll need to sort this out quickly.

2010 Mk6 GTI

Offline Neil C

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3014 on: 02 May 2020, 23:00 »
Did you do the glovebox and light in the boot too?

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3015 on: 03 May 2020, 15:11 »
Yep! The glovebox one was one of the more difficult ones. The boot was pretty easy except the new LED bulb is a bit shorter than the old standard bulb so had to squeeze in the clips a bit. But very easy overall. The hardest ones were the mirror/vanity lights as it was very hard to remove the plastic lens from the roof which is why I broke one. One thing I would say is look closely on them all and there's a tiny indentation on the side that you're supposed to prise from. If you try prising the other side it won't come out.
2010 Mk6 GTI

Offline o`Neil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3016 on: 23 May 2020, 14:33 »
Sold it  :smiley:

Offline Neil C

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3017 on: 18 June 2020, 22:56 »
Washed it and put my new 3D gel number plates on , and fitted my Canbus free LED number plate units from Auto Beam. Very impressed with these , no error messages displayed at all. I have tried various different ones in the past , from cheap ones to expensive , from Amazon and Ebay but they have all displayed error codes. Im over the moon with these.

Offline DUBbleChin

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3018 on: 26 June 2020, 19:42 »
Today I fitted some seat drawers : £29 each which is a bit steep for what they are but they're quite easy to fit and now I've got somewhere to put my wallet and phone

Nov '11 Candy White GTI, 5dr, heated leather, Rns510, DCC, Revo stg. 1, Sachs clutch, MST cai, Jetex 3" cat back, H&R springs, 19" TSW

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3019 on: 27 June 2020, 17:00 »
Neil C, that's looking really clean now. Number plate looks great and really improves the look. I think we're lucky in the UK because our number plate font actually looks great. Alternative fonts generally look crap and they're illegal anyway so what's the point?

A couple of weeks ago I got my black badges and red inlay through. After fighting with the rear badge for a while I managed to get it off in one piece. Fitted the red inlay. But decided I didn't like the black badge on Tornado Red. Silver looks better. But I left the red inlay because the faded black was making it look a bit crap. Not sure if I like it better than black. In future I might try to restore the black plastic instead or use a black inlay.

Last weekend I finished repair stone chips on the bonnet. I'd already spent a couple of weekends applying the paint and clear coat and sanding them down and polishing. Now I've polished the whole car by hand. It's not as good as machine polish, of course, but I don't have a machine. So full polish and wax. Took a whole day and I ached by the end. I have yet to take any nice pictures of the car, though...

Today I fitted cruise control. I really wanted cruise control as I liked it on my Civic, but couldn't find a GTI with it. Fortunately you can retrofit it. On the earlier Mk6s like mine (2010) it's the same as on the later Mk5s and you can follow this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEMRIPjeJAs It took me about 1.5 hours with 1 hour of that just being removing the airbag. That was a massive pain. But after that very straightforward and a really nice upgrade that cost all of £40 for the stalk (I already have an OBD11 for coding).
2010 Mk6 GTI