Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529775 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1950 on: 18 December 2018, 10:13 »
Someone’s overdosed on brave pills!  Great side effects though!  A very shiny car and a clean interior too!  Looks lovely Watts.

Watts - looks great! TR when clean =  ❤️

Cheers you two :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline MKgti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1951 on: 28 December 2018, 15:50 »

Spent a few hours with the baby, polished and waxed a couple of panels, dressed black bits and cleaned windows.
Didn't get time to polish the pipes though.
Collected and being driven....... Gti PP 5dr DSG Tornado red, tints and Brescia's.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1952 on: 28 December 2018, 18:47 »
Spent a few hours with the baby, polished and waxed a couple of panels, dressed black bits and cleaned windows.
Didn't get time to polish the pipes though.
Looks great. Really like the gunmetal Pretorias :cool:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1953 on: 31 December 2018, 15:30 »

[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/ZcHKt6S/fullsizeoutput-418.jpg{/IMG]

I saw the weather forecast for this week, and decided that as it's going to become colder with every passing day, I'd better pull my finger out and get some protection on the car before it becomes very wintery.

Washed yesterday, and today I've waxed the sides, tailgate and rear bumper with Auto Finesse Radiance carnauba cream, which is very easy to use, and gives an excellent wet look finish.  I also treated the black trim with Auto Finesse Dressle, coated the wheels with GTechniq C5 and applied GTechniq T2 tyre dressing - I'm not particularly impressed with the T2, which is rather watery, but isn't absorbed very well by the sponge which I use for tyre treatments.  Once I've used this container up, it will be back to the GTechniq Tyre and Trim gel.

Pictures don't really do justice to the results, especially as the car is under cover, but I'm happy with it, and if winter does put in an appearance, it will be easy to keep the car clean with minimal effort.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1954 on: 31 December 2018, 19:38 »
Looks very smart Dr Mike :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1955 on: 31 December 2018, 19:56 »

You're too kind.  I find that sprucing up the black trim, even though it's a real pain to treat the honeycomb grilles properly, together with cleaning the wheels and treating the tyres makes a huge difference and gives the car a "lift".

Meanwhile, winter draws on...

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1956 on: 31 December 2018, 21:16 »

You're too kind.  I find that sprucing up the black trim, even though it's a real pain to treat the honeycomb grilles properly, together with cleaning the wheels and treating the tyres makes a huge difference and gives the car a "lift".

I must admit to generally ignoring the grilles but you're right, it makes a real difference, particularly where it's such a contrast to the paintwork. But I do keep the tyres tidy though as mucky ones are very noticeable.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1957 on: 01 January 2019, 09:11 »

I must admit to generally ignoring the grilles but you're right, it makes a real difference, particularly where it's such a contrast to the paintwork. But I do keep the tyres tidy though as mucky ones are very noticeable.

My method for treating the grilles is to give them a good brushing with a soft, long bristled brush which I also use for the wheels, using shampoo and water, then rinse with a hose and either allow them to dry overnight, or use my dryer.

Then I mist them over with Auto Finesse Dressle, which has a very fine spray, take two sheets of a good quality kitchen roll (I use Plenty) which doesn't break up and leave fibres behind, and give it a good fingering.  There's no substitute for patience, there are an awful lot of holes in the grilles on a GTI.

The end result is well worth the effort - as you say, Watts, it's about the contrast between the trim and the paint.

Offline o`Neil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1958 on: 01 January 2019, 15:28 »

Then I mist them over with Auto Finesse Dressle, which has a very fine spray, take two sheets of a good quality kitchen roll (I use Plenty) which doesn't break up and leave fibres behind, and give it a good fingering.  There's no substitute for patience, there are an awful lot of holes in the grilles on a GTI.

The end result is well worth the effort - as you say, Watts, it's about the contrast between the trim and the paint.

I was going to ask how this was done but no need now, I have the products and tools so I have no excuse to make them look good.
And also you can`t beat a good fingering.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1959 on: 02 January 2019, 16:33 »
Gave the interior a reasonable going over. In terms of me, it hasn't been that long since it was last done but, my holiday over Christmas was a fairly mucky one and some muddy shoe prints were all over my mats with smears on the trim where those of a less caring nature had been getting in and out :rolleyes:

So everything vacuumed, a damp mf wipe all over followed by a spray of Poorboys Natural Look Dressing. Steering wheel leather and gear lever gaitor wiped over with a Dr Leather wipe. Looks and smells so much better now :smiley: Just got to do the exterior next which is pretty bogging :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.