Author Topic: Removing outside door body panel  (Read 1671 times)

Offline azino

• Just got here
Removing outside door body panel
« on: 16 February 2017, 23:13 »
Anyone have any experience with removing the outside door body panel on a mark 6 or 7 GTI?

I have a 2011 GTI and want to do some sound deadening on the inside of the metal frame. This looks like the easiest approach instead of removing the inside door panel and disconnecting and removing everything from the inside door assembly.

Found this clip on youtube for a mark V Jetta but haven't seen anything out there for Mark 6's or 7's specifically GTI's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f62efnT5fkU&t=353s

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: Removing outside door body panel
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2017, 08:04 »
Don't think you.can unless you have an angle grinder or spot weld cutter :grin:
The mk5 had back to front doors. The outer skin removed rather than the interior side one. This caused all sorts of alignment issues during production. So they went back to the old layout with the mk6.
The mk6 and mk7 have standard layout doors.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2017, 08:21 »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline azino

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2017, 16:32 »
yup...ive seen that one and one other. It sucks that they have to make it such a pain in the ass.
Actually found this German YouTube vid yesterday...sound deadening work being done on a MK7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ6jWwAYmn0&t=209s

It looks like there is a plastic cap I may be able to remove to get behind door to lay down some roadkill. Will most likely have to drill out speaker rivets as well so I can install some road kill behind speaker.

See how it goes...let you know.

Thanks