Author Topic: Sunroof shade handle removal. help!  (Read 5226 times)

Offline WeekendMechanic

• Here all the time
  • Golf MK3 GTD
Sunroof shade handle removal. help!
« on: 03 February 2020, 09:45 »
I have taken the sunroof shade off to reupholster but handle looks like its moulded on, is this the case?
Anyone know how to take it off?

Offline Pete le Deet

• Not said much yet
Re: Sunroof shade handle removal. help!
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2020, 15:53 »
I'm aware of two different types of these, a small central moulding and a larger full-width type. But both seem to be attached in the same way; during assembly the moulding would be placed over the fabric, with plastic pegs protruding through holes in the panel. I take it that the pegs would then be heated to deform and widen them in a similar way to a metal rivet.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Offline WeekendMechanic

• Here all the time
  • Golf MK3 GTD
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2020, 16:18 »
I'm aware of two different types of these, a small central moulding and a larger full-width type. But both seem to be attached in the same way; during assembly the moulding would be placed over the fabric, with plastic pegs protruding through holes in the panel. I take it that the pegs would then be heated to deform and widen them in a similar way to a metal rivet.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

What would be the best method to remove it I am thinking to melt the rounded white plastic ends with a slder gun and ease them out leaving enough plastic to mould them back in place will it work do you think?

Anyone know of a better method or knows another way Im all ears.

Offline WeekendMechanic

• Here all the time
  • Golf MK3 GTD
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2020, 06:44 »
I just melt the peg molds, then melt the plastic back on with a soldier, its not as pretty, but its just as solid.
« Last Edit: 18 February 2021, 17:05 by WeekendMechanic »