Author Topic: Clutch dead :( Likely cost? Worth upgrading? What exactly needs replacing?  (Read 24355 times)

Offline DarkGti

• I live here
just ditch the DMF, no real way of telling if it's knackered until you pull it out. I wouldn't go back now

+1  :smiley:
+2

Offline The Dave

• I live here
What are the benefits of dual mass flywheels? Just wondering why they've become common place if they're a load of tosh?

I need to get some quotes under way, aint had time today works been madness, gonna be all week I bet :(

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
What are the benefits of dual mass flywheels? Just wondering why they've become common place if they're a load of tosh?

I need to get some quotes under way, aint had time today works been madness, gonna be all week I bet :(

Its a comfort / vibration thing - less noise is transmitted into the cabin

Problem is the dampner within the DMF wears away over time so it rattles like fook

In an ideal world I'd have ditched the DMF when I upgraded my clutch but I'd have lost my teeth long ago  :grin: :grin:

For the 1.8T the G60 / VR6 combo is the ONLY option - i've driven Rich's and the clutch is just silly light and very easy to operate :afro:

Offline The Dave

• I live here
Someone commented to me about the chances of increased vibration... any of you guys got anything to note?

I've got a polybush dog bone mount on mine which gives some vibration at tickover and low revs, so aslong as it's nothing worse.. i will deal with it lol. Ideally NO worse, but worth asking? :)

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
Someone commented to me about the chances of increased vibration... any of you guys got anything to note?

I've got a polybush dog bone mount on mine which gives some vibration at tickover and low revs, so aslong as it's nothing worse.. i will deal with it lol. Ideally NO worse, but worth asking? :)

No vibration WHATSOEVER  :cool:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot

No vibration WHATSOEVER  :cool:

What Rich said - its BETTER THAN STANDARD!!

Offline The Dave

• I live here
Sounds like it's made of epic win dudes :D

Any of you chaps who've had it done at a garage able to gimme an idea of what you paid if you don't mind me asking? :)

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
Sounds like it's made of epic win dudes :D

Any of you chaps who've had it done at a garage able to gimme an idea of what you paid if you don't mind me asking? :)

Labour for me was £160 IIRC  :smiley:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline tom-gardiner

• I live here

The Clio didn't as it's naturally aspirated and French  :sick:  :laugh:

My Project Thread ;)

Offline The Dave

• I live here
Interesting read, cheers :) So not many bits needed in essense. I just need find somewhere reputable and cheap to do this lol.