Author Topic: Golf R Estate?  (Read 12980 times)

Offline andrewparker

• Here all the time
Re: Golf R Estate?
« Reply #10 on: 19 April 2015, 08:03 »
Thing is, you're all dismissing it on looks, which as you know are purely subjective (and if we're honest a judgement should only really be made on this aspect once you've seen it in the flesh).

Every car is a compromise, in one way or another. I currently have a MK7 GTD which is great, but I do miss the GTI I had previously and would like something a bit faster. As a Golf fan an R is the logical next step, but I've got two growing children who want to take bikes and scooters to the park. Going away for a long weekend is beginning to be a struggle, and that's before you factor in the smaller boot of the R hatch. Upshot is that I need a bigger car! Step forward the R estate, everything an R is... but more.

It may be niche, but in reality it offers more answers than the hatch. I think it may be very popular.

I'd add that a guy at work has recently took delivery of a fully spec'd up midnight blue Golf GT estate and it actually looks superb.
Current – Mk7 Golf R, Night Blue, 5dr, Manual / Mk7.5 Golf R, Indium Grey, Estate, DSG

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 19 April 2015, 09:19 »
Andrew you've hit the nail on head. If you are in the market for an estate car then this will be what you are looking at song with the Leon St cupra and Octavia vrs. All the people on here saying it's not for me that's fine but a hatchback r certainly isn't for me. The boot is too small which is why probably people wanting a bigger boot will buy this. The R owners on here are starting to turn into those clowns on the other forum and looking down at everyone else through rose or lapiz blue tinted glasses  :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 19 April 2015, 09:26 »
For an estate, this thing is awesome. I personally don't like estates, never had need for a boot that big really. Would be interesting to see one in the flesh. Anyway ordered one yet?
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 19 April 2015, 10:12 »
The R owners on here are starting to turn into those clowns on the other forum and looking down at everyone else through rose or lapiz blue tinted glasses  :grin:

Can't speak for others but I certainly don't look down on anyone's choice of car or see the R as the be all and end all of hatches, it's a Golf.  The GTI/D/R are all good cars for what they are, and early days, but the estate looks like it's shaping up to be a winner for some.   People ask for opinions on forums, and get them, but hopefully most have own minds and come to a decision based upon their circumstances and need.

The R Estate is not for me because I don't need or want an estate, it's nothing to do with the looks of the car. An R hatch fulfils all my needs which is why I chose it.  I personally do not like the looks of the estate  but I suspect it's looks much better in the flesh, but I can see the attraction for others.
« Last Edit: 19 April 2015, 10:14 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 19 April 2015, 10:50 »
Rebecca I couldn't get back online to edit my original post and say not all r owners but some. At least that's what it's coming across as although it was the same from some gti owners who were up in arms about the gtd being exactly like the gti. You're right in that all the variants gtd/i and r are very good cars and the addition of the estate variants gives VW a wider owner base.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 19 April 2015, 12:18 »
Rebecca I couldn't get back online to edit my original post and say not all r owners but some. At least that's what it's coming across as although it was the same from some gti owners who were up in arms about the gtd being exactly like the gti. You're right in that all the variants gtd/i and r are very good cars and the addition of the estate variants gives VW a wider owner base.

No worries mcmaddy, I do know where you're coming from and I remember all that GTI v GTD snobbery crap and hope we don't get that from R owners.  As for the other forum, as an R specific site, it lacks the diversity that this place offers, which, for the most part, gives a bit of much needed perspective. 

It's all too easy on forums to start coming across as a bit of a t**t and this is largely why I haven't bothered registering on the other forum.  I'm not sure I agree with your description of them as clowns though, on the contrary some of them are so far up their own a***s,  it's a miracle they've not yet located their sense of humour :wink:

Anyway, who's going to buy an R Estate?  Anyone?
« Last Edit: 19 April 2015, 12:20 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 19 April 2015, 13:26 »
I'll whisper it quietly Funnily enough it was certain ones who were snobby about GTI's being better then GTD's that have since defected to another kind of Golf that I won't mention right now and some of those have indeed been spotted on 'another forum'

:whistle:

It's not for me as I can't drive properly but the R Sportwagen offers an awful lot. I can see it being popular with people that own wellies.
It's a shame it's not as stylish as the Alltrack. The Alltrack actually does appeal to me.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #17 on: 19 April 2015, 15:19 »
The irony is that in 2015 it is easier to find a high performance estate car than it is to find a warm/hot hatchback.

If I'd wanted an estate then BMW, Merc, Audi, Lexus and many others make V8 supercharged supertankers.

But ask for something like a 5 door warm hatch (not built by a French communist) and the choices are rather more limited.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 19 April 2015, 16:00 »
I'll whisper it quietly Funnily enough it was certain ones who were snobby about GTI's being better then GTD's that have since defected to another kind of Golf that I won't mention right now and some of those have indeed been spotted on 'another forum'.
 :whistle:
It's not for me as I can't drive properly but the R Sportwagen offers an awful lot. I can see it being popular with people that own wellies.
It's a shame it's not as stylish as the Alltrack. The Alltrack actually does appeal to me.

Andy, was it not you who said those unkind words about the GTD many moons ago?  :tongue:

Anyway, the R Estate is certainly not stylish. In fact, its proportions are decidedly out of kilt. If one wants a decent looking estate and not a half-way-house like the Golf estate, then why not go the whole hog and get one from BMW, Mercedes or Audi, who do it so much better.

ETTO.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 19 April 2015, 16:08 »
 :grin: :grin: I hope not Asker as Ive always been a massive GTD fan, I much preferred the GTD mk6 to the GTI and as far as mk7's go it's neck and neck for me.
Mind you I can be unkind about most things on my day!  :whistle: :tongue: :kiss: :kiss:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner