Author Topic: Can't change gears while the car is running - GTI 1.8T  (Read 3208 times)

Offline MDS

• Just got here
I was recently driving, stopped at a stop sign, put the car in neutral and since then I was not able to change the gears.

I felt the clutch was slipping for few days, when I'm in a higher gear such as 4th or 5th and floor it, revs would go up to 4-5K RPM but the car wouldn't go any faster.

I should add that I can change gears normally when the car is off. So the clutch is not being fully disengaged when I press the clutch.

Does anyone know if it might be the clutch/pressure plate or a master/slave cylinder that might be causing it?

I have a feeling it might be the clutch, I checked some prices cheapest I got was $900 for the clutch and $400 labor (NZ). If anyone in here is from NZ and know a cheap clutch place, let me know!
« Last Edit: 21 August 2016, 05:58 by MDS »

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Can't change gears while the car is running - GTI 1.8T
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2016, 21:28 »
Sound to me like the centre is eipped out the frictiin plate. Unfortunately that means a full clutch kit buddy.
Good time ti upgrade (if you can with nz laws)

Offline MDS

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2016, 22:23 »
Sound to me like the centre is eipped out the frictiin plate. Unfortunately that means a full clutch kit buddy.
Good time ti upgrade (if you can with nz laws)
Thank you for the reply, is there anyway I can confirm this? Also what's a good upgrade?

Offline LR5V

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2016, 00:07 »
take an ABF or G60 flywheel (Suspect this may be difficult in the southern hemisphere), lighten, add Mk3 VR6 Clutch, balance both flywheel and pressure plate =Lighter clutch pedal, faster free-er reving and takes lots of really dirty abuse

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2016, 11:04 »
As abovr, and normally if its in gear and isnt moving but you can change through the gears withought the clutch. The middles gone

Offline MDS

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 23 August 2016, 23:49 »
As abovr, and normally if its in gear and isnt moving but you can change through the gears withought the clutch. The middles gone
I can change gears when the car is off but not while the car is running even with the clutch padel pressed. I can also drive in first if I put the car in first with the car turned off and then turning the car on.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #6 on: 24 August 2016, 19:27 »
If you drive in first and press the clutch what happens. Sounds like it could be slave cylinder.
If you pump the pedal in nutral does the pressure increase and let you select a gear

Offline MDS

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2016, 06:14 »
If you drive in first and press the clutch what happens. Sounds like it could be slave cylinder.
If you pump the pedal in nutral does the pressure increase and let you select a gear

When I'm driving in first and press the clutch, I can come to a stop without stalling the car, it works as normal. I can't still go into neutral or change gears though. I tried pumping the clutch hard and putting pressure on the gear stick, it still won't go into gears. It will go into reverse but gears will grind.

I'm thinking about changing the clutch, currently looking at $1500, if not I will have to change the cylinders.

My mechanic suggested we should try changing the cylinders first, but I think I will change the clutch first. I will have to change it anyway since it's slipping.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2016, 07:34 »
Is the fluid low in the reservoir? If clutch is slipping it needs doing as you say but id try slave cylinder first like your mechanic

Offline MDS

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 28 August 2016, 09:24 »
Is the fluid low in the reservoir? If clutch is slipping it needs doing as you say but id try slave cylinder first like your mechanic

No, fluid level is normal. This basically started when I was seeing if the clutch was slipping, so I was abusing the clutch a little. I was driving in high gear in higher revs for 10-20 seconds. I was doing 50KM/H (30MPH), 4th gear and revs were at 3-4K. Which is not possible. It normally does 1.5K for this speed. Can a slave cylinder suddenly stop working like that? Gears were changing perfectly fine literally 10 seconds before it suddenly stopped working.