Author Topic: Clutch Upgrade Opinions - G60/VR6 versus ECS Stage 1?  (Read 1548 times)

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
As per the title really, my clutch is on its way out and I've been looking at the G60 flywheel and VR6 setup versus the ECS tuning stage 1 kit.

I've found a Sachs kit here;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G60-FLYWHEEL-AND-SACHS-VR6-CLUTCH-KIT-WITH-BOLTS-FOR-VW-GOLF-MKIV-1-8-TURBO-/371597715636?hash=item5684f328b4:m:mRDeVPUFnsgsohrZYA48cHQ

Generally a few companies seem to offer the same kit, with varying references to the flywheel being lightened or not, some with OEM mounting bolts other without, etc. The main difference seems to be LUK versus Sachs but I've always heard Sachs is the one to go for and don't mind the extra ~£50 or whatever it is.

And the ECS kit here;

http://www.psituning.com/product.php/19174/ecs_stage_1_clutch_kit___with_lightweight_steel_flywheel__14lbs__5speed

The main difference here is that you get the alignment tool thrown in, but they have a 14.0lbs flywheel or a 20.5lbs flywheel? I'm assuming the lighter flywheel gives better response as it spins up quicker but will vibrate more and drop the revs faster with the clutch disengaged?

I'm currently running 230bhp under Revo stage 2 and may go Stage 3 in the future (260ish?) so whatever I fit now needs to be good for that which I'm assuming both would be? Appreciate any thoughts or experiences people have had with either kit, or indeed an entirely different recommendation?

Offline andy68

• Not said much yet
Re: Clutch Upgrade Opinions - G60/VR6 versus ECS Stage 1?
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2016, 15:33 »
I've been using the ECS 14lb version for about 6 years now, good clutch with good feel, never noticed any rattle though, seems to affect the diesels more, heard good reviews of LUK/Sachs or Valeo, there all rated to similar power levels 240/250bhp, 280lb/ft, do your research on Techniclutch though, they get very mixed reviews, Darkside Development usually do some good price kits.

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
Re: Clutch Upgrade Opinions - G60/VR6 versus ECS Stage 1?
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2016, 23:00 »
That's great - thanks for the reply and good to hear from someone who has/is running the ECS kit. To be honest this is the way I'm leaning in any case, eBay kits always worry me slightly!