Author Topic: Squeaky/Creaky Clutch  (Read 1573 times)

Offline xXCattManXx

• Just got here
Squeaky/Creaky Clutch
« on: 05 August 2016, 12:38 »
Hi Guys

I purchased a 2001 MKIV 1.8T GTI on Monday, and since then the clutch has been getting rather squeaky/creaky

You can feel a creak/vibration through your foot as you apply the pedal, and with the windows down/radio off, you can hear the sound (similar to a door opening slowly) coming from the outside

It's only on the first inch or so of the clutch, the engine doesn't need to be running and it makes the sound on depression & release

I've looked around, but I'm a bit of a novice - If it's a question of spraying some lube as some have mentioned on other sites, where should I spray it? If it's something potentially a little more serious, what should I do? Does anyone recommend somewhere to take it

Has anyone else had this on a MKIV?

2001 MKIV Golf 1.8T GTi
151,000 miles
New cambelt in last 20,000
Serviced within the last 10,000 miles

Thanks in advance

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
Re: Squeaky/Creaky Clutch
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2016, 12:48 »
My pedal box did this before the plastic half moon clip at the back snapped off and my clutch pedal went to the floor doing around 70mph on the motorway  :shocked:

Get right into the driver footwell, lie as much on your back as you can and you can see under the pedal, I wouldn't recommend spraying anything on it until you inspect it in case it causes something to come loose
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline xXCattManXx

• Just got here
Re: Squeaky/Creaky Clutch
« Reply #2 on: 05 August 2016, 13:01 »
Thanks Dalo

Will do so shortly

Would you think that you would be able to hear the creak from outside the vehicle if that was the issue?

J