Author Topic: Gti and R testdrive  (Read 28985 times)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: Gti and R testdrive
« Reply #120 on: 04 February 2019, 11:23 »
King Monkey - don't forget that if you plan to load up the R then you will probably be in 'Luxury tax' threshold.

An R in the same spec as my GTI would have been £43k (before discount) taking it well into the luxury car tax bracket of £450 a year to tax for 5 years. My GTI came in just short of £39k (before discount), which means £140 a year to tax.

Sadly the amount of discount you get doesn't impact the VED rate, it's the total RRP cost that matters (excluding any OTR costs), so an R would have meant dropping some of the options I wanted which I didn't really want to do given I plan to keep it for a few years.

Something to consider if you've not done so already.  :smiley:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #121 on: 04 February 2019, 18:28 »
King Monkey - don't forget that if you plan to load up the R then you will probably be in 'Luxury tax' threshold.

An R in the same spec as my GTI would have been £43k (before discount) taking it well into the luxury car tax bracket of £450 a year to tax for 5 years. My GTI came in just short of £39k (before discount), which means £140 a year to tax.

Sadly the amount of discount you get doesn't impact the VED rate, it's the total RRP cost that matters (excluding any OTR costs), so an R would have meant dropping some of the options I wanted which I didn't really want to do given I plan to keep it for a few years.

Something to consider if you've not done so already.  :smiley:

Oh I’m well aware of this. I’m not adding too much as both cars have a great standard spec. I’m amazed how many either aren’t aware or think that it’s ok because of the discount taking them below £40k.

Gti would be white, pan roof, Brescia and 90% tints.

R would be lapis, prets, black mirror caps and tints.

Spending over £40k on a golf is crazy imo.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #122 on: 09 February 2019, 18:37 »
So, I had my test drive today (again) and changed my mind. Took the R out first and really fell for it. The gti felt great as well but just loved the R. Sat down with the dealer, reserved a car that had been built and was awaiting shipment in exactly the right spec, was ready to sign only to be told there had a problem with the figures quoted previously and it would be x amount more. Ended up walking away. Gutted.

Out my car in Tootle and received some decent offers so hoping that will bridge the gap.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #123 on: 09 February 2019, 18:39 »
You were right to walk. They’ll be on the phone within a couple of days offering you the original price...
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #124 on: 09 February 2019, 18:53 »
I’d just bought my Gyeon Fabric Coat too! Oh well.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #125 on: 10 February 2019, 09:04 »
was ready to sign only to be told there had a problem with the figures quoted previously and it would be x amount more.
Without wishing to sound rude, that's hardly surprising. :sad: As we've discussed previously, you were given "written discounts" etc on figures from campaigns last year that you've been sat on for several months. IMO they were never going to honour those and were just using it as a hook to ensure you didn't walk. They had no obligation to honour those discounts and with new campaign rates starting a few days ago it doesn't surprise me to see the discounts get pulled. Christmas/Jan is the quietest time of the year for the car trade, so incentives are at their highest, those incentives get small er and smaller the further we get towards spring. At the end of Jan discounts had gone from 15%+ to below 10%, and even though VW are chucking in another £500 to the deposit contribution, it's still a lot less than it was.

There is still a small chance they are playing a game, and they may buckle by you walking away, but if they're confident on their targets and/or the deal previously offered simply isn't possible given the new margins set by VW, then you might be onto a losing battle. My advice(FWIW), if you are intent on getting a car act now, because as we go further towards the spring/summer discounts will only continue to get smaller and you will be forced into the used market. Do this by either accepting the price, or trimming back on options. By the sounds of it though it might be too late to get the spec you want?

Good luck though, I hope you can get the car you want.  :smiley:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #126 on: 10 February 2019, 09:44 »
was ready to sign only to be told there had a problem with the figures quoted previously and it would be x amount more.
Without wishing to sound rude, that's hardly surprising. :sad: As we've discussed previously, you were given "written discounts" etc on figures from campaigns last year that you've been sat on for several months. IMO they were never going to honour those and were just using it as a hook to ensure you didn't walk. They had no obligation to honour those discounts and with new campaign rates starting a few days ago it doesn't surprise me to see the discounts get pulled. Christmas/Jan is the quietest time of the year for the car trade, so incentives are at their highest, those incentives get small er and smaller the further we get towards spring. At the end of Jan discounts had gone from 15%+ to below 10%, and even though VW are chucking in another £500 to the deposit contribution, it's still a lot less than it was.

There is still a small chance they are playing a game, and they may buckle by you walking away, but if they're confident on their targets and/or the deal previously offered simply isn't possible given the new margins set by VW, then you might be onto a losing battle. My advice(FWIW), if you are intent on getting a car act now, because as we go further towards the spring/summer discounts will only continue to get smaller and you will be forced into the used market. Do this by either accepting the price, or trimming back on options. By the sounds of it though it might be too late to get the spec you want?

Good luck though, I hope you can get the car you want.  :smiley:

To be fair, I went in to the dealers in December, had a price confirmed and reconfirmed at several junctures, so I’d expect that to be honoured.

I don’t actually think they were playing a game, think they made a genuine mistake as they’ve phoned to apologise already. Salesman has been fantastic. The difference is only £600 so they’re still giving a great discount, around the 15% you’ve mentioned. Obviously, we’ve not all got bottomless pockets so I’d worked all the finances out based on the information given to me. If someone gives you a written quotation it should be honoured imo, especially with the assurances given.

Anyway, we’ve come to a compromise and the R will be odered this morning when the dealer opens. Car with all the options I want has already been reserved. Delivery early March. So pleased to be back in the Golf club.

Btw, I can thoroughly recommend Tootle to sell your car if anyone else is thinking of changing.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #127 on: 10 February 2019, 09:58 »
To be fair, I went in to the dealers in December, had a price confirmed and reconfirmed at several junctures, so I’d expect that to be honoured.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you 100%, but sadly the reality is we are now in February which is two month's financial difference from December, where targets and margins will have been altered twice, including VW now chucking in £500 for Golf's on top of the old £1500.

I don’t actually think they were playing a game, think they made a genuine mistake as they’ve phoned to apologise already.
Possibly, but at the same time they know how these things work, so promising something back then they knew they might not be able to deliver is a bit sneaky, but unsurprising given the car trade. :sad:

The difference is only £600 so they’re still giving a great discount, around the 15% you’ve mentioned.
I don't know the discounts being offered on the R, but if they are anything like the Golf then 15% is still really good, you should be pleased.  :smiley:

Btw, I can thoroughly recommend Tootle to sell your car if anyone else is thinking of changing.
Totally agree, I sold an RS4 on there back in 2016. I got 3k more than P/X values. It's a great place for sportier/sports cars.
SOLD March 2021

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #128 on: 10 February 2019, 10:22 »
Good news for everyone else is that the tcr will probably be along any day now that I’ ve ordered.  :whistle:

Offline Zermatt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #129 on: 10 February 2019, 10:54 »
Did it end up being Lapiz Blue?
2018 |Isaac Blue GTI| 3 Door |Manual |Art Velour| Bresicas
2018 | Alpine A110 Premiere Edition
2005 | Graphite Blue Mk V GTi- long gone but not forgotten