Author Topic: How to check DPF filter clogging or loading on a VW TDI or Audi TDI  (Read 29757 times)

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
Plug the VCDS cable into the OBD2 port and start the software.  The Ross tech VCDS tool or dealer tool is required to view this info, next click on "Engine".

Click on "Meas. Blocks" and select group 075.  The 3rd number block is the particle filter load.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Very useful  :nerd:

I logged Adam's and mine yesterday; Adam's was at 0% and mine was showing 5.2%  :nerd:

Will re-log mine tomorrow to see if the journey back has burnt some of that off  :smiley:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Urm nope!  Lambda now showing 10% this morning  :huh:

Best give it some stick this week  :evil: :undecided:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot

Giving it stick saw my DPF levels rise to 45%  :lipsrsealed:

Nice bimble down the motorway today and levels are back to 9.5%  :nerd:

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit

:wink:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot

:wink:

Interestingly I'm fairly sure I could detect the DPF regenerating as it felt a little sluggish to pick up and there was what felt like a stutter or two  :undecided:  Only happened on the way to Newport, on the way back it seemed a lot smoother  :smiley: 

The levels might have dropped further but some fool in a what I can only assume was a remapped MK4 TDi (smoking heavily) tried it on  :grin: :grin:

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
Depends on how the DPF regens itself, if it suddenly drops a load of particulate then it will stutter slightly due to mass flow through the exhaust changing suddenly. Plus it will be cycling some of your fuel back in to the exhaust hence it tends to regen around 50-70mph steady state driving so you won't notice it much.

Offline adi

• GTI forum regular
To carry out a forced regen on the dpf audi recomend to be in 4th gear at around 2500 rpm speed approx 40-50 mph also can not be done in cruise control.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Depends on how the DPF regens itself, if it suddenly drops a load of particulate then it will stutter slightly due to mass flow through the exhaust changing suddenly. Plus it will be cycling some of your fuel back in to the exhaust hence it tends to regen around 50-70mph steady state driving so you won't notice it much.

Cool; it was those sorts of speeds I was doing  :smiley:  Nice to know its doing its job.......:afro:

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
You can force a Diesel Particle Filter Emergency Regeneration with VCDS.

Sorry I've just seen another sticky with this in http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=196530.0
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.