Author Topic: Cleaning a MK5 GTi- All you need to know  (Read 21331 times)

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
Re: Cleaning a MK5 GTi- All you need to know
« Reply #10 on: 25 November 2008, 15:41 »
Lol. Nice clean up.

I know what your number plate is! I know what your number plate is! Nanananana!

I ssume its the pic taken from inside the garage? Of the front of the car with the doors open? lol
When I posted it I could not see a plate cos of the brightness setting etc on the screen.

But looking on a different screen now I can. Woops. lol

Mike

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Conker

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 25 November 2008, 21:41 »
Good post. I especially like it that you said "use a normal paintbrush".  So many "detailers" have to have a meguiars brush or whatever, that cost £10 or more, and really, its just a freakin' brush!!   :smiley:

One question, shouldn't you be putting some protection back on the paint after spraying it with degreaser?  Unless its a gentle chemical, it will surely strip wax?

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #12 on: 26 November 2008, 10:07 »
Im not entirely sure about the exact make up of the product. My father is one of the only suppliers of it and its been used on the car many a time and does not damage the paint. It is derived from the kacher foam spray stuff apparently and it just lifts the dirt giving the car such a nice clean that I dont even need to hand wash it  :evil:

And a fully agree with a "normal" brush. There is no difference between the brushes except that a Swissvax brush makes you feel special. I love Detailing but some Detailers make it seem that cleaning a car properly must be ultra specialized. Its not and thats what im trying to achieve with this write up. Af ew cheap products and two hours and its done.

Mike

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #13 on: 26 November 2008, 15:13 »
with total respect!!!! detailing is a specialized job :smiley: it takes hard graft and technique, technique being the key.
i agree with you on the brush front..... that a normal brush is just as good as a megs brush etc.

but to say its not a specialized thing is a mild insult to people like myself and other detailers who have trained and work hard at what they do.

2hrs detailing a nearly new golf that isnt really that cosmetically dirty isnt really a triumph is it.

good write up though :wink:
« Last Edit: 27 November 2008, 00:03 by dubplate Dan »
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #14 on: 27 November 2008, 07:12 »
Hello

It was not my intention to offend you Dan, I myself am I detailer although I admit I have not got a lot of experience. So as a detailer of sorts and someone that also details to earn some money I feel I can say that some detailers see detailing as over specialized. Its not as if I am talking rubbish.

Some of my other details:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=88272

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=81460

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=73625

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=71044

Take a look at this thread and look how much trouble I got into for asking a few simple questions. Please note that the detail of this vehicle is posted above and its immaculate. Its because of that thread that I have my opinion about detailers thinking they are all that. Im 18 years old and was 17 when I detailed that blue Audi A4. I would hardly see myself superior to a 35 year old who thinks his job is specialized when meanwhile a teenager who was bored achieved similar results with half the products  :evil:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=68147

2hrs detailing a nearly new golf that isnt really that cosmetically dirty isnt really a triumph is it.

This sort of thing is insulting though. I am the only person to clean that golf since day one. It has zero swirls.  Has never had to be machine polished. Has no faded lacquer. The leather is in tip top condition. And the point of this excersise was not to post up a "how to detail a MK5 GTi". It was intended for those who just wanted a quick wash and for those that unlike myself and yourself dont enjoy spending an entire day polishing  :laugh: :lipsrsealed:

Im glad you enjoyed the write up though  :wink: Its nice to see the different opinions here. Its a good way to learn from others.

Mike  :smiley:

Join our group now!

Offline Dan J

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 27 November 2008, 18:24 »
thats cool :wink:

sorry for offending you about the golf, it does look good.
the detail on that audi is spot on, the funny thing is.......... i like you detailed my first car when i was 17 and im now 31 and love detailing more now than i did when i was 17 :grin: im well into it as its my job but not in a geeky way.

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #16 on: 27 November 2008, 18:32 »
Thanks  :smiley:

My first ever detail was a almost new 3.0 litre quattro Audi A4. Since I was young I have loved detailing and the only thing stopping me from not doing it as a job is my parents.

You must have a huge amount of experience in detailing if you have been detailing that long. Wow! :cool:

Join our group now!

Offline Dan J

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 27 November 2008, 18:55 »
Thanks  :smiley:

My first ever detail was a almost new 3.0 litre quattro Audi A4. Since I was young I have loved detailing and the only thing stopping me from not doing it as a job is my parents.

You must have a huge amount of experience in detailing if you have been detailing that long. Wow! :cool:

why are your parents stopping you from doing it? i think you've got what it takes to be a good detailer,i know ive only seen pics of your work but your attention to detail is spot on, some people have got it and some people have'nt :sad: .

yep :cool: 14rs doing this and still love it,love the new equipment/chemicals that are coming onto the market. HATE the  back ache though :cry:

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #18 on: 27 November 2008, 19:17 »
Hello. My dad owns a oil company and wants me to work with him full time next year. My detailing is gonna be restricted to weekends only which sucks. But im already trying to get out. The detailing market is tiny here in south africa which also plays a role as there are no customers. I have a good eye for detail and just gotta get my parents to realise its what i want. But for now its a hobby according to them. Mike

Join our group now!

Offline Dan J

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 27 November 2008, 19:33 »
cool :wink:  the more you do it the more addictive it gets :grin:

the problem over here is you get undercut alot by other bandits then the customer rings you up to basically re-do the crap job the bloke done before. once you've got a good rep people will recommend you and work will poor in.