Author Topic: one or two issues  (Read 1132 times)

Offline messenjah

• Not said much yet
one or two issues
« on: 09 November 2010, 15:14 »
hi guys.
i have one or two issues with the wiring for the stereo in my recently aquired mk2 golf.

first things first  if i turn the volume up the stereo cuts out and then restarts itself  at random intervals.  whats likely to cause that ?

the stereo doesnt keep its settings when you switch the ignition off  (so im guessing it only has a switched live or someone has used a switched live instead of the permenant when wiring it in before.

the wiring behind the dash is an absolute mess with mountains of chocolate block and a few scotchlocks thrown in for fun ..   is there anyone near stevenage in herts thats very neat and relatively cheap who fancies sorting it out for me ?   i can do it but im not the neatest lol i was just going to remove the chocolate block one connection at a time soldering and heat shrinkingthe joints as i go ?

with a relatively old sony head unit and without wanting to cut too many holes in things is it worth me ripping out the vw speaker cabling and running high quality speaker cable throughout and decent speakers the same size as the originals ?

what speakers would you guys reccomend ?   im also thinking about a small ish sub in the boot because i do likea bit of BASS. 

Offline B-chi

• I live here
Re: one or two issues
« Reply #1 on: 09 November 2010, 21:57 »
Not sure about the cutting out. Maybe a dodgy connection.

Swap over the yellow and red on the back of the HU. On the back of the HU block should be a yellow and a red these should both have butt connectors. Plug the red into the yellow and vice versa. That should keep ya stations stored.

As for speaker wire. I always do. Your system is only as good as your weakest link. It's relatively cheap and easy so why not.

Speakers and subs.

What size are they as standard?
What's your budget?
Can you do the work yourself?
What sort of music do you listen to?
What's your budget?
Any weight restrictions?
How loud do you want it?
Likely to upgrade in the future?
Do you want it all at once or gradually buy nicer, more expensive gear?
Etc?

Offline messenjah

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 09 November 2010, 22:38 »
i read somewhere not sure how accurate the source that the fronts are 5 1/4   and the rears i have no idea ... and its dark outside ... lol

no weight restrictions

budget is say sub £300  but i already have this headunit

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_774697_langId_-1_categoryId_165474

if tht link works if not its a sony cdx gt35u   to go in when i get it back lol

i have some decent infinity 6x9s too sitting doing nothing if they are worth using  and ive already gota load of speaker wire so i can probably doo it cheaper  i want a small ish sub because i want to retain useability of the boot and i am happy enough making a box to put it in aslong as i know how big to make the box  i need advice on amps and what sub to use  and what else i need

Offline Tazzy

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2010, 20:18 »
HU going into protective mode??

sorry to be blunt, but buy a better head unit, sonys car range of technology is shockingly sh*t!

also, on the back of the head unit, there should be a permenant live output, to go direct so you shouldnt lose any information like cd memory, radio stations, time, etc
« Last Edit: 10 November 2010, 20:19 by Tazzy »
If It Comes Off, Modify It!