Author Topic: 365bhp EA888... Factory approved ABT upgrade  (Read 3720 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: 365bhp EA888... Factory approved ABT upgrade
« Reply #10 on: 13 March 2019, 19:11 »
Only 150 coming to the UK. Both seat dealers I've been to wouldn't even entertain the drive the deal quote I showed them. Sat in a Cupra Lux st on Sunday it's really nice. Didn't have a sliding arm rest or a cover for the cup holders but apart from that no difference to a VW golf.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #11 on: 13 March 2019, 19:46 »
I nealry went for a Cupra ST 4 drive, it was 4k less than the R and would of been fully loaded... Just not quite as big in the boot and the buckets took up too much rear leg room.... I wanted the 7 speed DSG too. Better looking than the Golf estate

BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 14 March 2019, 19:38 »

Is that because the Seats were comparatively cheap and a high % loss of a relatively low purchase price (like on an Ibiza) is still low on a £ basis?

For Leon vs Golf, every time I looked, Leon never made sense financially because the Cupra had the depreciation curve of a Ford Focus. The interior plastics in places you'd notice always looked and felt cheap. Doesn't help that my local Seat dealerships are arses too (Pattinson Seat wanted me to put a deposit down on a Cupra before they'd entertain a test drive about 10 years ago).

Definitely not the case for cheap depreciation here with that very expensive ST.

Would welcome the rollout of official power upgrades though. At £500, it's around the price of an externally sourced remap - no extra money to cover increased chance of warranty issues. That says to me that VAG are confident the engine can handle the extra output with ease.

Doubt they'd do this for manual boxes though, with their chocolate clutches.

It was on a mixture of models over a period of time ranging from a Leon Cupra to Ibiza TDIs.

Percentage based depreciation is something I find inaccurate. It’s based on list price to trade value. The latter fair enough but real world buying doesn’t involve list price unless it’s a particularly sought after car with zero discount.
I base depreciation purely on ££££ lost to myself when I’m calculating cost to change to my next car.
Headline figures are irrelevant, merely what it’s cost me in real terms.

The manual cars have a metal cage rivetted over the ECU to stop direct modification where DSG models have a clipped on plastic cage. That says it all about clutch headroom on manual cars. There is none.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 14 March 2019, 19:48 »
^ That's the way I do depreciation too. I care what the car has lost me, after discounts and what I p/x or sell it for, not the used sticker price (which is about 20% higher than p/x).

Even so, every time I have looked at changing cars, I've never seen a performance Leon's discounted price corresponding cheaper than the Golf to the tune of cancelling out the extra depreciation (to p/x value) it would suffer over and above the Golf.

Maybe it's my local dealerships having not been too competitive in the past, but I'd want a Cupra to be at least £3k cheaper than the equivalent Golf at purchase to cover it being worth £3k less at 3 years old in p/x.

Never happened for me, nor have I been wanting a change at a time where 0% finance was available.

Best depreciation relevant to price is likely to be the R when I trade in in a few months time - £32k car, bought for £28k and £16.8k p/x value at 4 years old, less than £3k a year real depreciation!
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 14 March 2019, 20:23 »
Keeping it the four years was a good move. Depreciation notably slowed down later in the lifetime.
My R was bought for circa £28k I think (less extras than yours too) and I got £22k after 18 months  :cry:
The Ed40 was had for just under £28k and booking at £24.7k after 23 months.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 14 March 2019, 21:07 »
Keeping it the four years was a good move. Depreciation notably slowed down later in the lifetime.
My R was bought for circa £28k I think (less extras than yours too) and I got £22k after 18 months  :cry:
The Ed40 was had for just under £28k and booking at £24.7k after 23 months.

I think that the WLTP caused shortage of cars has helped used prices, and the Pretoria wheels seem to pay for themselves on an R, worth a grand more used than an R on Cadiz.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #16 on: 15 March 2019, 06:17 »
We have had 3 SEATs one from Pattersons one from Petch and one DTD. We lost less over time in pound notes from what we paid than the VW equivalents. We also had far less issues with them and the dealers than the VW before or after them sadly. 
« Last Edit: 15 March 2019, 06:20 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 15 March 2019, 09:39 »
I went from a Mk4 Golf GTI to a Leon Cupra in 2002. I paid Circa £16k for the Golf in 99 and got £9.5k as a private sale with just over 70k miles on it. The Leon was also £14k and that was sold privately after 3 years and 60K miles for £10.5k, so back then, quite a bit in it £ for £. Despite having an old A3 dashboard, the Leon was by far the better spec. 180PS v 150. 6speed v 5. Climate control v manual air con. 17" wheels v 16 etc...

The same seems to be pretty much the same today. Spec a Golf up to Leon levels of equipment and generally over 3 years, the Leon will work out cheaper.
« Last Edit: 15 March 2019, 15:22 by dubber36 »
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.