Author Topic: First drive of my spanking new GTI Mk6  (Read 30900 times)

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
First drive of my spanking new GTI Mk6
« on: 02 August 2009, 22:23 »
hmmmm... well the weekend is almost over...and I have no idea where time went. heh heh heh

I took the car for a long drive on the highway today and I must say it was superb driving although it was raining quite heavily. The car performed very well. It sounded as it should be. I thought it was rather loud and not muted as most reviewers had said.

Handling with the Continental tyres were also great, no loss of control and the car felt planted all the way.

Since this is the first time I am owning a VW GTI and driving it for more than an hour, I realised the clutch is very light and easy going when changing the gears. I am still amazed that the onboard computer 'suggests' that I change to the 6th gear when going only 60km/h.

Travelled 361 km/h oops, frogti thanks for pointing this out already and mileage was approximately 8.2 litres/100km... Thats quite good I think.

And the RNS310 is nice, with touchscreen and in colour. Plays music from the iPod and correctly labels all my music. I am indeed a happy customer. :)     
« Last Edit: 03 August 2009, 17:45 by howlingmoon »
GTI Mk6 United Grey, 18" Monza Shadows, RNS310, Executive Package, ACC

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
Re: First drive of my spanking new GTI Mk6
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2009, 17:36 »
We need pix :)

BTW, I didn't know you were allowed to drive at 361 km/h in Holland ;)

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2009, 17:56 »
Hi, was just wondering whether its normal to hear the body of the GTI creak when going up uneven surfaces. Here in the Netherlands, there are raised roads especially when you need to cross bicycle lanes at junctions. So when I go over it, the door on my side seems to creak a little.

I was using the premium bluetooth kit and it works great with my Nokia E75. I can actually read sms on the onboard computer screen. The integrated navigation system on the RNS 310 is also great. Not as good as a TomTom but is alright for a basic system.

I will post some pics once the weather is sunny enough. Hmmm its sunny at the moment... I will go park it in the sunlight... will post some later today then, I hope. ;)

HM

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2009, 18:10 »
With regard to the creaks.. I had a simialr problem on the R when I first got it, so took it back to the dealers. i was told it was a combination of 2 things..

1. The chassi will have some flex in it (they all do) so as it settles down the creaks will lessen.

2. The rubber on the doors has a habit of rubbing very slightly and so also causes weird noises around the cabin. This can be fixed by using a spray on lubricant on the seals. I know VW have one for use on the Eos's as they tend to flex a little more :wink:

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2009, 18:41 »
R32UK, thanks for the advice and information. Will check with my dealer but will have to wait till 11 August as he is on summer break. Am taking the car out now for some photo shoot for the forum, ho ho ho. Its not as clean as I would like it to be but since the sun is out... need to capitalise on that...

HM

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2009, 22:35 »
Hiya,

Here are the pics of my United Grey GTI with 18" Detroits and normal headlamps...

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 03 August 2009, 23:07 »
I listened and you are right R32UK... the sound seems to be the rubbers rubbing against each other, now that you mentioned it. So how long will one need to wait before the body frame sets? Or I should just get the lubricant from VW? hmmmm all this rubber and lubricant talk does suggest something else altogether... ha ha ha :evil:

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 03 August 2009, 23:45 »
hmmm my first gen iPod Shuffle works fine with the USB connector but when I tried to fix my iPhone to the same USB connector, nothing happens... no reaction whatsoever... will go to VW to get the iPhone connector tomorrow then... I wonder how much it will cost here... in the Netherlands...

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2009, 00:31 »

neat colour and some nice pics :)   not quite silver, not quite grey... pretty cool!!

over here the alloys are called monza shadows

also you should be able to get the ipod cable for free if you ask nicely :)
Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2009, 07:50 »
I listened and you are right R32UK... the sound seems to be the rubbers rubbing against each other, now that you mentioned it. So how long will one need to wait before the body frame sets? Or I should just get the lubricant from VW? hmmmm all this rubber and lubricant talk does suggest something else altogether... ha ha ha :evil:

Good stuff! Atleast we know whats caused it now. Usually settles down over a few weeks as the rest of the car adjusts to the slight flex. i would get the lube from VW and apply it as and when its required :wink: