Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529548 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #570 on: 21 May 2016, 20:02 »
Had my first go at using the new DA today; didn't have much time so only hit it with a cutting compound. Will be booking a full day soon  :smiley:

That's looking fantastic already Rhyso even without the refining. :cool: Nice work.  Hope you enjoyed using your new DA.?
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #571 on: 21 May 2016, 20:05 »
Lovely to see kids getting involved.  Never too early to teach them the ways of the detailing.  :smiley:

There's a lot of it about at the moment (bird poo).  It's such a pain.  That etching and those scratches on yours should polish out, and definitely worth giving it a go by hand.

I had some scratches on mine left by some careless person in my works car park, but they came out by hand.  I used SSR2 and worked well, then refined down with a bit of SSR1. All gone, then sales and relaxed the area.  Didn't take any specific close up 'after' pics yet but you can get the gist.

Good luck. Etching and scratches aside, your car looks fantastic. :cool:

Thanks Rebecca. Was going to have a go anyway but good to have confirmation I'm not doing anything daft!  :laugh:

P.S. 'sales and relaxed' - assuming that's some auto correct gone wrong of washed and waxed. Or maybe it's a new detailing technique we've not heard of yet!  :laugh: :wink:

Oh well... weather has put paid to that idea... will have to wait until I'm back off my hols now. TBH it's barely noticeable, especially when the car is wet with rain. Getting late too.

I did however sit in the car for 10 mins and give the dash a clean with PBNL, which was the interior cleaning I wanted to do, as it was a bit dusty :cool:

Shame but can wait.  Heavy rain here too.  Just watching it bead and sheet off the car.  :laugh:

Have a great holiday Dave.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #572 on: 21 May 2016, 20:09 »

That's looking fantastic already Rhyso even without the refining. :cool: Nice work.  Hope you enjoyed using your new DA.?

Thanks Booth  :smiley:

I wasn't expecting the amount of vibration you get back from the DA  :undecided:  i certainly found myself taking a few breaks  :sad:

Other than that it was really nice to see pretty much instant results  :smiley:  can't wait to tackle the rest of the car!

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #573 on: 21 May 2016, 21:31 »
Lovely to see kids getting involved.  Never too early to teach them the ways of the detailing.  :smiley:

There's a lot of it about at the moment (bird poo).  It's such a pain.  That etching and those scratches on yours should polish out, and definitely worth giving it a go by hand.

I had some scratches on mine left by some careless person in my works car park, but they came out by hand.  I used SSR2 and worked well, then refined down with a bit of SSR1. All gone, then sales and relaxed the area.  Didn't take any specific close up 'after' pics yet but you can get the gist.

Thanks Rebecca. Was going to have a go anyway but good to have confirmation I'm not doing anything daft!  :laugh:

P.S. 'sales and relaxed' - assuming that's some auto correct gone wrong of washed and waxed. Or maybe it's a new detailing technique we've not heard of yet!  :laugh: :wink:

Oh well... weather has put paid to that idea... will have to wait until I'm back off my hols now. TBH it's barely noticeable, especially when the car is wet with rain. Getting late too.

I did however sit in the car for 10 mins and give the dash a clean with PBNL, which was the interior cleaning I wanted to do, as it was a bit dusty :cool:

Shame but can wait.  Heavy rain here too.  Just watching it bead and sheet off the car.  :laugh:

Literally had a 40 minute window when it stopped raining until I had to leave to pick the mrs up from work. Got it done in that time! :grin:

The scratches came out immediately, but the etching took quite a few goes and elbow grease to do to my satisfaction. Its gone completely now though. Washed panel afterwards and rinsed with hose. Dried and then applied c2v3 with mfs. Looks great now :laugh: :cool:

Now I feel much better!
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #574 on: 21 May 2016, 22:48 »

Thanks Booth  :smiley:

I wasn't expecting the amount of vibration you get back from the DA  :undecided:  i certainly found myself taking a few breaks  :sad:

Other than that it was really nice to see pretty much instant results  :smiley:  can't wait to tackle the rest of the car!

Yeah, lots of machine vibration, but you do get used to it.  Good excuse to stop fr a cuppa to give the arms a rest. 
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #575 on: 21 May 2016, 22:49 »

Literally had a 40 minute window when it stopped raining until I had to leave to pick the mrs up from work. Got it done in that time! :grin:

The scratches came out immediately, but the etching took quite a few goes and elbow grease to do to my satisfaction. Its gone completely now though. Washed panel afterwards and rinsed with hose. Dried and then applied c2v3 with mfs. Looks great now :laugh: :cool:

Now I feel much better!

Lol, nice one! 
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #576 on: 22 May 2016, 13:09 »
Bought ANOTHER DA6 6 Pro Plus  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #577 on: 22 May 2016, 13:32 »
Not today but last week, I hand polished out the scuffs to the rear door inflicted in the works car park.  Came out easily thankfully and one less defect.

Before

After

2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #578 on: 22 May 2016, 13:33 »
Today…….

Gave it a quick maintenance wash. Followed inevitably by rain!

A bit of beading

2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #579 on: 22 May 2016, 17:39 »
Your car paintwork really does have a 'liquidy' look to it Rebecca ( not sure that's a real word but I'll go with it ) :drool:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16