Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 244892 times)

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #1320 on: 18 February 2020, 11:20 »
stuff

Also, what is "the pedalbox"?

Oh-oh......

I suppose you don't know what you don't know!! :grin:

I'm guessing you're new to the forum (welcome if so?) coming from an ST and trust me if you'd been here for a while there is no way you wouldn't know what a pedal box is by now..... search it, it's quite heavily discussed to put it mildly!!! :laugh:

Peddle box or pedal box? Probably both :whistle:

I don't know what you're on about?!? :wink:
2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1321 on: 18 February 2020, 14:48 »
stuff

Thanks for that post. Really interesting to hear as I'll be in the same position soon. I think I'll be way more impressed coming from a Fiesta ST than you are from a GTI PP which is (essentially) the same car with some tweaks. Are you still running it in or just going for it?

Regarding the wheelspin, I'm not surprised with the power on tap! Probably to do with the tyres though as you suggest. As a side note, in every FWD performance car I've had, people have raved about dogbone mount or lower engine mount replacements, may be something to try? Not sure if it's applicable to cars with DSG.

Also, what is "the pedalbox"?

I've not driven the Fiesta ST but I'd be surprised if you aren't impressed by the TCR, really enjoying mine :smiley: Haven't yet found a decent road to really give it a workout on but it does pick up very smartly and feels strong.

What spec have you gone for?

I'm going to keep this car pretty standard I think so no messing with mounts but I have made a small adjustment to the pedalbox today so hopefully that'll tame it's slight over eagerness!

The pedalbox plugs in to the throttle pedal and adjusts the signal with various settings. It can cause a bit of lively discussion as alluded to by the posters above :laugh:, some swear by it, others swear about it! It's a bit like the sport button which sharpens the throttle response only moreso. Here's the most recent discussion - http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=286146.0 but there are lots of others!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #1322 on: 18 February 2020, 15:03 »
If you want to see opinions on pedal boxes in a statistical way....

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=286173.0
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1323 on: 19 February 2020, 05:32 »
Just got home after my weekend away for my Mum's big birthday. About a 3 hour drive each way and although it was mostly steady motorway/A roads I have to say I'm settling in very nicely with my TCR already. The pedalbox has definitely helped smooth out the pulling away although it still needs a bit of fine tuning, just a little less immediacy required but I much prefer the delicate approach to the throttle than a lead foot.

There's a bit more menace compared with my old PP, the engine sounds more purposeful even with a light throttle, not sure how much of that is the soundaktor as I have that on Eco, but it is a good noise. It picks up well and with what few opportunities I had, seems to hold on well although there was an incident of lack of grip in the rain today turning on to the slip road to join the M11 from services, wasn't pushing it so was a little surprised at that (also had one other incident of wheelspin in the wet at a throttle level that I didn't think unreasonable). I found the PS4S to be better in the rain so may swap to those once the Pirellis have worn out.

I'm getting to grips with the DSG, it does seem to want to drop a gear or two where I wouldn't in the manual but I suppose the ratios are different so I just need to stop thinking about it and let it do what it wants. So far it's just been in D and that seems just right. It is a very comfortable and smooth drive, perfect for long journeys.

The stop-start system is a bit pants after my manual PP, it's very difficult to get it to stop the engine and on checking the system status it says it's available :rolleyes: Then it'll cut the engine before I stop only to start it again when I do stop?! But when it does work it's fine so I'll leave it on. The digital dash is good, I like having the sat nav in the middle, much better, the fuel guage could do with being a bit clearer but overall, pretty good.

So overall I'm finding the TCR a very worthwhile upgrade to my MK7PP, very pleased with it and I think we have many years of great driving ahead of us. I just need to get to some better A/B roads where I can have some fun with it :smiley:

A belated happy birthday to your mum Watts  :smiley:

Good to see you’re enjoying the new toy. God knows how you get 40mpg though! Even when I dawdle I don’t get near that at this time of year.

I’ve played around with suspension and gearbox settings and have decided VW’s happy medium is indeed the happy medium, so dampers in Normal and gearbox in D and just enjoy the bends and swoops of the roads.
Too many choices just over complicate a simple task. I like simple.

My stop start is exactly like yours. Erratic and unpredictable at times.
Either sat straining against the auto-hold for no reason, or cuts out too early, or cuts out when slowing then restarts the engine once the vehicle stops. Odd!
I just class it as a foible that’s part of the car’s character.

My son announced out of the blue on Friday he’d bought a house about 40 miles away  :rolleyes: so always open to a bit of adventure I braved the winds, mudslides, fallen trees and floods, taking the back roads to go have a nose at it on Saturday evening amidst Storm Dennis
All good fun. The TCR took it in its stride like any other Golf would. When Mother Nature is in a bad mood it copes just fine, and when the sun shines and the traffic buggers off it goes like a scalded cat.
I’ve never seen so many large potholes as this winter and it’s becoming impossible to avoid them all so it wouldn’t surprise me if all my wheels are 50p shaped by now!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1324 on: 19 February 2020, 19:17 »
A belated happy birthday to your mum Watts  :smiley:

Good to see you’re enjoying the new toy. God knows how you get 40mpg though! Even when I dawdle I don’t get near that at this time of year.

I’ve played around with suspension and gearbox settings and have decided VW’s happy medium is indeed the happy medium, so dampers in Normal and gearbox in D and just enjoy the bends and swoops of the roads.
Too many choices just over complicate a simple task. I like simple.

My stop start is exactly like yours. Erratic and unpredictable at times.
Either sat straining against the auto-hold for no reason, or cuts out too early, or cuts out when slowing then restarts the engine once the vehicle stops. Odd!
I just class it as a foible that’s part of the car’s character.

My son announced out of the blue on Friday he’d bought a house about 40 miles away  :rolleyes: so always open to a bit of adventure I braved the winds, mudslides, fallen trees and floods, taking the back roads to go have a nose at it on Saturday evening amidst Storm Dennis
All good fun. The TCR took it in its stride like any other Golf would. When Mother Nature is in a bad mood it copes just fine, and when the sun shines and the traffic buggers off it goes like a scalded cat.
I’ve never seen so many large potholes as this winter and it’s becoming impossible to avoid them all so it wouldn’t surprise me if all my wheels are 50p shaped by now!

Cheers Exonian, she had a lovely time!

I don't recall mentioning economy but spookily you are spot on! 41 on the way there but 36 on the return. There's a lot of 50-60 A road driving so it's usually a good economy drive, the PP would've been 40-45 so a bit better but I'm not too bothered, nearly 40mpg with the performance available is amazing so more than happy :smiley:

Getting to grips more with the stop/start system, the manual said to keep your foot on the brake when stopped and the engine will stop, and it worked! So, much better now.

We seem to view things similarily, I too prefer simplicity and I'm running it in Individual with most on Normal and engine sound in Eco, works really well. I had a town drive from near to hell today, lots of traffic, 20mph limit most of the time which I mostly failed to achieve and yet, calm prevailed. This is one key area I knew the DSG would excel at and it didn't fail me, brilliant!

Tomorrow I'm off to meet clubsport from this forum to deliver some parts that he wants, hopefully we'll have a go on some good roads but at the very least, I'll get to drool all over his rather lovely red CS :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline atlasgrey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1325 on: 20 February 2020, 00:19 »
What mpg? Wow, a 50mile round trip steady motorway often with variable limit and saw my best ever mpg of 37. My long term is 33 to 27 depending on the app, based on about 4 different mileage and driving hour durations. Probably about right asa lot are short runs, interspersed with bigger ones to ‘give it a run out’
Corrado VR6, Mk2 Gti 8v, Up Gti (sold), Mk7.5 Gti TCR

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1326 on: 20 February 2020, 08:54 »
What mpg? Wow, a 50mile round trip steady motorway often with variable limit and saw my best ever mpg of 37. My long term is 33 to 27 depending on the app, based on about 4 different mileage and driving hour durations. Probably about right asa lot are short runs, interspersed with bigger ones to ‘give it a run out’

My 5 mile commute at this time of year in the PP was normally around 33mpg but could drop into the high 20s if it was especially cold. My TCR is doing 27-31 mostly though yesterday's run back through Kingston in rush hour was about 24, I thought that was pretty good. I'm interested to see what it can do but I didn't buy it with economy in mind!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #1327 on: 20 February 2020, 08:55 »
My long term (after its first reset) average is 32 MPG but have been doing shorter distances recently and tending to keep it in Sport given the shorter runs - However, on my trip to Manchester the economy did hit the 40 MPG mark on way out and was 38 MPG on way back

As a ballpark I think its working out roughly 5 MPG more economical than my R - Seem to be putting about £30-£40 less fuel in a month than R
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Rimp

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1328 on: 20 February 2020, 12:01 »
Hi guys, my first post in this forum. I had a flick through this thread but forgive me for not reading all 130+ pages.

I ordered a TCR back in December and was given an expected delivery time around the end of March 2020. (first time ordering a car from new) I downloaded that My VW app which states the order is with the factory but hasn't given me a confirmed build week yet. I dropped the dealership an email double checking they hadn't heard about delays etc and was told they hadn't heard of anything and that they expected my build week to be mid March.

I heard a rumour that the dynaudio systems were in short supply but other than that nothing. I was half expecting to have at least heard of an estimated build week by now?

Am I just being impatient or do you guys think that in order to pick the car up end of march I should have heard more progress by now? again this is the first time I've gone through this process so I'm unfamiliar with the timescales involved.

I currently live and work in Lisbon, Portugal but I'm transferring back to the UK at the end of March so the original timing would have been perfect for me.
GTI TCR 5dr Pure Grey+Black on Pretorias -on order

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #1329 on: 20 February 2020, 12:10 »
I ordered my TCR on the 5th January and nearly seven weeks later it's still sitting with the factory. This is the third new VW I've ordered in recent years and the information is as bad if not worse than ever. The response from VW UK who should know more than my supplying dealer is to ask me to contact my dealer 😀. The only issue I've got is if the car is registered after 1st April I'll have to pay an extra 300 odd quid on first registration due to wltp tax changes. VW will be paying that because I'm not! If they can't supply a car within 12 weeks or so when BMW can within 8 is beyond me. I've got Dynaudio in my TCR so if that is the issue then surely VW UK would know this.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.