Author Topic: 17 year old, third party on other cars?  (Read 9470 times)

Offline MarkS

• I live here
Re: 17 year old, third party on other cars?
« Reply #20 on: 07 August 2007, 11:36 »
Can drive other cars and going to build up a 10month no claim bonus!

arrrgh noooooo!!!!!! Why do people keep falling for the "10 month bonus accelerator thing"??!!!! :huh:  :rolleyes:

If you read some of the old topics you will understand where im coming from. 10 month policies are a waste of time in my opinion, yeah they look cheaper but thats because you dont get as much for your money....they are 10 MONTHS not a YEAR.

A YEARS no claims bonus is for 1 YEAR, a YEAR is 12 MONTHS not 10. You will find a lot of companies will not accept the no claims you build up on a 10 month policy. Why should they? Its a gimmick by that company to get the business, its makes their price look better than it is (cos obviously its a shorter policy so would be) and a way they can trap you. THEY will give you a years no claims for the 10 months, that does NOT mean that every other company will accept it.

Hell if we wanted to we could say we will do an 8 month policy an give you a years no claims, im sure loads of people would love it but that does not mean every other company would accept it if we decided to stick our price up next year regardless of your "years" 8 month no claims.

You get a 14 day cooling off period, if i where you i would try to extend it to a full 12month/1 year policy.

Best of luck with it

Martin  :smiley:

Oops  :sad:
I did try and put it to the 12 month no claims but it went but by quite a lot  :cry:

I knew there'd be issues about the accelerated no claims as its not a full year etc, from what I've been reading up on this forum.
However on the Bell website they say if you do change insurance companies they will vouch that it is a full no claims bonus
So fingers crossed it'll be ok for the future  :smiley:
Suppose in 10months time we can talk to them and see whats what and maybe upgrade to a 12 month policy after?
No doubt I'll be back on here b!tching about it if it goes wrong  :laugh:

Thanks again  :smiley:

Offline gtitdi

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 14 August 2007, 22:52 »
hi mate

i'm 18, been driving a 1.6 golf for a year now
last year I was with a broker called Carole Nash on a policy as a named driver - this cost £430 for the year!
this year they didn't want to know me - the quote was £4500!! they're obviously cracking down
so I then went on a search for cheap insurance naturally... i looked at all of the options tpft and fully comp named driver and own policy with just about every company out there
i eventually went for fully comp cover as a named driver with RAC for £900 (mods declared) with was the absolute cheapest going
however RAC dont cover you on other cars but your own even if you're fully comp
from what ive seen its going to cost an awful lot to get fully comp cover that will cover you on other cars too at our age - they hardly want to insure us for our own cars in the first place.. roll on 21!

hope that helps
ste

Offline MarkS

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 15 August 2007, 00:55 »
Thanks for the reply mate  :smiley:
One person we talked to at endsleigh said that the general rule of thumb is to cover driving other cars third party around the age of 21-25, however bell allow it for a small extra fee. which is who we went for, so its all good  :smiley:
Its silly how much young drivers have to pay for insurance

Having said that, I have a friend who must be only 19/20 with a subsequent 2/3 years no claims bonus and can afford to insure a cab with a g60 engine in  :shocked: with at least 180hp I think he said, with other mods too!
He didnt tell me how much specifically the insurance was though, so ya know...  :laugh:

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #23 on: 15 August 2007, 09:08 »
roll on 21!

Spot on.

Im 20 and still pay loads, I save about £400 in April when im 21, canny wait!

TeddyKGB

« Reply #24 on: 15 August 2007, 20:28 »
These 10 monther policies - how does the new insurance company know? Surely the previous cert shows as 1 year? Unless the new insurer checks the puter? Although I guess insurance companies are getting smart with this sort of thing

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #25 on: 16 August 2007, 00:32 »
These 10 monther policies - how does the new insurance company know? Surely the previous cert shows as 1 year? Unless the new insurer checks the puter? Although I guess insurance companies are getting smart with this sort of thing

Hmmm hard one to be precise, going from how we deal with them we know who most of the companies that offer these policies are so when you are asked who your last insurer was, if its someone we know offers 10month accelerators you will usually be asked directly if it was 10months or not.

Also the no claims proof usually has the dates on so it will say 1yrs ncb claim policy effective 1/8/06 to 01/06/07 or something.

That said we have had the odd occasion where they have taken it if it purely states 1yr and gives no indication of any less but this is rare.

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 24 August 2007, 15:22 »

Hmmm hard one to be precise, going from how we deal with them we know who most of the companies that offer these policies are so when you are asked who your last insurer was, if its someone we know offers 10month accelerators you will usually be asked directly if it was 10months or not.

Also the no claims proof usually has the dates on so it will say 1yrs ncb claim policy effective 1/8/06 to 01/06/07 or something.

That said we have had the odd occasion where they have taken it if it purely states 1yr and gives no indication of any less but this is rare.

I did a 9month bonus accelrator. but on my certificate they actually put 12 months no claims bonus, so no other companies queried it.

Offline woodlehouse

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 10 September 2007, 21:37 »
 :sick: :sick: thats how young drivers insurance prices make me feel ..................i wouldnt bother with a car if it ment paying £2000 or £4000 ish for cover

mind you the majority of young drivers think they are pros & drive like utter tits  :angry:

not saying every one should be tar'd with teh same brush.

cant say i have this prob running a trader policy for me (29yrs 4yrs now claims 6points  & my business partner (28yrs 11 points & 6 month ban just over now) & my stepdad on 38yrs 3 points   

grand total £1578.00 any vehicle car or bike upto 7.5 tonne
all mods inc even rollcages & nos

trade use & social & pleasure use
cars on the policy are

seat toledo mk1 20vt 300bhp
golf mk2 20vt 300bhp
saxo vtr
focus 2.0 16v
trooper 3.1td

Offline hobbiniho

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 23 September 2007, 18:23 »
im 18 and only pay about £900 and iv been banned from driving for a year for having no licence and insurance and driving without due care  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: then again where i live there is no cars nicked at all , just the young drivers roll them at high speed into ditches and fields, my dad was  a copper for 20 odd years and said that in his time hes only had a couple of cases of stolen cars and they  wernt actually techniclly stolen just borrowed by friends  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline calGT

• Not said much yet
  • onlly 16 year old with a gt ever??
« Reply #29 on: 23 September 2007, 18:52 »
ive had quotes for £9k!!lool....£1200 on mummys policy.....haha.....woop woop.....