Author Topic: 17 year old, third party on other cars?  (Read 9446 times)

Offline MarkS

• I live here
Re: 17 year old, third party on other cars?
« Reply #10 on: 03 August 2007, 09:09 »
back when i was 17 i had tpft with cis and my policy allowed me to drive other cars too, not sure how things are with them now as that was 7 years ago

Tried them too mate!
Over 8 Grand  :sad:
I was in a rush filling out the form though so i might try them again sometime as I might have done it wrong  :embarassed:
Thanks for the tip though  :smiley:

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #11 on: 03 August 2007, 11:15 »
Not entirely sure how passing my test makes me more dangerous, maybe cos I'm on my own, but there you go! Sure someone can shed some light on that one for me  :wink:

hmmm well with us we certainly would not put the price up just because you passed your test but I can kinda understand where they may be coming from though.

Personally I would consider someone that has just passed their test as more dangerous than somone on a provisional. You can have a provisional, pass your test the next day but that does not automatically mean you are a better driver, only that you can now drive unsupervised. In my opinion its driving experience that makes you better.

Martin  :smiley:

Offline MarkS

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 03 August 2007, 11:21 »
Yeah I see what you mean mate, but I would have thought that practically anyone can get a provisional license and get in a car despite having no knowledge of driving or how to drive, at least you show basic skills if you've passed! But then again, I don't work in insurance so my knowledge is somewhat lacking :grin:!

On another note, things are looking up, got a quote from bell, fully comp with my parents named drivers £2600!
Can definately drive 3rd party with them too
And I made sure I'm down as a full license this time  :laugh:
I'm sure I'll be back complaining again if things don't work out  :wink:

Thanks for the help guys, probably wouldn't have got it sorted otherwise  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 03 August 2007, 11:22 by MarkS »

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #13 on: 03 August 2007, 12:05 »
Yeah I see what you mean mate, but I would have thought that practically anyone can get a provisional license and get in a car despite having no knowledge of driving or how to drive, at least you show basic skills if you've passed!

True, but you have someone experienced sitting next too you who is likely too tell you off if you start driving like a nutter....... :wink:

Glad you got a deal you are happy with though mate (although i struggle too see how anyone could be pleased with a quote of £2600!!!  :shocked:), its crazy how much 17yr olds have to pay for insurance. If i had to pay that sort of money when i was 17 i would never have been able to do it!

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #14 on: 03 August 2007, 12:17 »
When I was provisional on my sisters clio it was cheaper than when I had passed. Only reason I could think of was the fact that im hardly going to be using it as I havn't passes my test. Maybe once a week or something like. Yes? No ? I have no idea what im talking about now.

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 03 August 2007, 14:21 »

I'll try bell on tpft too, I'd rather be able to drive my mk2 than have a no claims I suppose

You do know that you still get a no claims bonus at the end of the year if your on tpf&t!?

Offline MarkS

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 03 August 2007, 23:54 »

I'll try bell on tpft too, I'd rather be able to drive my mk2 than have a no claims I suppose

You do know that you still get a no claims bonus at the end of the year if your on tpf&t!?

Might look into that!
Cheers mate  :smiley:

I know £2600's pretty steep but I suppose I'll have to get used to it if I want to drive for the next few years  :sad:
Just gotta get the old parental stamp of approval now!  :laugh:

Offline Britman

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 05 August 2007, 00:39 »
try endsleigh, they were cheapest for me at 17

Offline MarkS

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 06 August 2007, 23:51 »
All sorted for definate now  :smiley:
tpf&t
Can drive other cars and going to build up a 10month no claim bonus!
So its all good  :smiley: Except for the cost i suppose  :cry:
Ahh well
Thanks for all the help and info guys  :cool:

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #19 on: 07 August 2007, 00:24 »
Can drive other cars and going to build up a 10month no claim bonus!

arrrgh noooooo!!!!!! Why do people keep falling for the "10 month bonus accelerator thing"??!!!! :huh:  :rolleyes:

If you read some of the old topics you will understand where im coming from. 10 month policies are a waste of time in my opinion, yeah they look cheaper but thats because you dont get as much for your money....they are 10 MONTHS not a YEAR.

A YEARS no claims bonus is for 1 YEAR, a YEAR is 12 MONTHS not 10. You will find a lot of companies will not accept the no claims you build up on a 10 month policy. Why should they? Its a gimmick by that company to get the business, its makes their price look better than it is (cos obviously its a shorter policy so would be) and a way they can trap you. THEY will give you a years no claims for the 10 months, that does NOT mean that every other company will accept it.

Hell if we wanted to we could say we will do an 8 month policy an give you a years no claims, im sure loads of people would love it but that does not mean every other company would accept it if we decided to stick our price up next year regardless of your "years" 8 month no claims.

You get a 14 day cooling off period, if i where you i would try to extend it to a full 12month/1 year policy.

Best of luck with it