Author Topic: 17 year old - where do I start?  (Read 10754 times)

Offline BiGUKG

• Here all the time
  • Simples!
Re: 17 year old - where do I start?
« Reply #40 on: 09 November 2010, 23:51 »
Dont go with Admiral there a bunch of tossers!! an uninsured unlicenced bimbo crashed into my old Tigra and my OLD insurance company (Admiral) payed out!!! shocking,also when i
got the golf and told them it had a cobra alarm instead of my insurance going down they put it up saying it was a modification.  :angry:

Was your alarm fitted by an approved fitter?

Mine wasn't, but it'll still massively drop the chances of my car being had away by some f*cker. I suppose the problem with it not being an approved fitter is how do they know it works? Fitted could be classed as wired up to the battery without a sensor in sight but to call it a modification is ridiculous and in my opinion, a ploy to tuck people up!!

http://www.vw-southeast.co.uk
"The community for enthusiasts and owners in the South East"

Offline xkaty_h

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #41 on: 10 November 2010, 15:18 »
Well you've altered the original nature of the car. Hence modifying it. If it wasn't a registered fitter then (I'm not saying you have) the safety of the could be compromised if it hasn't been fitted properly. The alarm in my Mk2 hasn't been fitted correctly and the bastard thing goes off anytime it wants - making it  a hell of a lot more noticeable in a car park - and then it doesn't go off when it's armed and you open a door.
Will be getting my 6i606 fitted by an thatcham approved fitter when i get around to it.
From an insurance perspective, I can see why they'd put the cost up.

Offline matski

• Not said much yet
« Reply #42 on: 11 November 2010, 00:31 »
Is that in your own name?

In my name and with me earning the NCB which is now at almost 3 years considering i turned 20 recently. I had a Honda Civic 1.8 before which was cost around 1800 to insure with Directline and their 'multicar' discount so the GTI is a bargain!
Mk5 GTI DSG 5-Dr, Steel Grey, 2006, 40,000miles, RNS-510, LED DRL's (Ultra Auto), Fiscon Bluetooth, Luxury Pack, Rear Parking Sensors, 18" Monza II Shadows, Milltek Non-Res. Exhaust, Painted Rear Bumper, Revo Stage 1, TPMS, Mk5 GTI Recaro Bucket Seats (Front), Mk6 Golf .:R Brakes Front & Rear, S3 Intercooler, Carbonio Intake, Uprated DV, WALK.

Car now for sale: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250978652712?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_1264wt_1378

Offline MissGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #43 on: 12 November 2010, 20:39 »
Im not sure, it was already fitted when i got the car, tho its got a signed certificate, not sure if that means owt tho.
I've just watched yesterdays watchdog and Admiral were on there for ripping people off  :rolleyes:
Just be dub to me

Offline Heff

• Not said much yet
« Reply #44 on: 01 December 2010, 15:58 »
Hi, I'm 17 and looking to get some form of Volkswagen..  I've looked at loads of things over the past year but now its coming to the time where I need to start thinking about what I want to get and sticking with it..

My current options that I've thought of are:

• A golf (mk 1 2 or 3)
  • A caddy (mk 1 or 2)
  • A polo(mk 1 or 2)

Ideally I'd like a caddy, but I just don't know where to start and whether it would be a possibility insurance-wise.. Can someone please give me pointers as to where I should start and what models of each car to look at? Sorry if the post is a bit vague but I'm really confused and I don't know where to start..

EDIT: What insurers should I look at? Which are generally best for young drivers? HIC don't seem to cover anyone <19 years old..

I have a Mk4 Golf 1.4 I'm 18 and its 3800 with tesco :D

Heff
1.4 Dark Blue Mark 4 Y reg Golf- Standard

Plan on: Fox Racing Allows- Red and Black
             Rear Tints
             Sound System
             New front and Rear Bumpers (Scrapes on Both)
             Passenger Side Rear Quarter
             Drivers Side Rear Quarter