Author Topic: 1990 BB 'valver' - I want a very low milage, guaranteed value, 'classic' policy  (Read 2698 times)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
I'm 32, max no claims, no points, no accidents, underground secure parking space, yet the cheapest I've been quoted is £411!!!!  :huh:

Even though she is 100% original & unmolested most places won't class the car as a 'classic' because it is my only car, regardless of the fact I only does a handful (max 1k miles a year)?!?!

It must be a company who will quote with a guaranteed value - does anybody have any ideas of where to try?

:)
« Last Edit: 13 October 2009, 18:06 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Have you tried HIC if not then best bet is look in the classic mags and see if any can help, Footman James would be worth trying.

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
i had my mkII 16v on a classic policy, 5k a year, garaged, agreed valued ( think it needs to be over £2k now ) , thru HIC - for half your quote. :afro:

Ring them up, qask for martin or just mention GOLFGTI.co.uk  :cool:

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Thanks chaps - HIC were on my list of companies to ring this weekend. I'll scan some mags as well to see if anything comes up. I'm always nervous about the 'ads in mags' though because it sometimes means a compromise on cover quality, hence why I am asking for peoples experiences. I want her insured for a guaranteed value of £4k at the very very least, are there any others I should consider?

« Last Edit: 14 October 2009, 19:02 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline monzablue16v

• I live here
Brent Acre are good as well :)

Probably got lost in the "Great Crash of 08

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
HIC have come back initially at £399 with a £250 excess and £4k GV. Not a bad starting point...

By the sounds of what HIC said it will be around £300 by the time I have shopped around and gone back to them with a price match (they can only apply further discount on a price match apparently). 'will give Brent Acre and Footman James a call this weekend. :)
SOLD March 2021

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Footman James just quoted £219.20!  :cool:
SOLD March 2021

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
All done & dusted. Footman James it was for the reasonable price of £186.24p with a GV of nearly £5k.

Now I've just got to work out what to do with my 8yrs NCB I have lying about, because according to them they don't apply to classic car policies!?!  :huh:
SOLD March 2021

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Wow sounds like a great deal.  :cool:

the majority of classic policies do not use or build up NCB (although HIC have a couple that do  :wink:) however your no claims will last for 2years with most companies if its not in use so just have a year on a classic policy, then put it on a policy that will accept ncb next year, classic the year after and so on...

Martin  :smiley:

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Wow sounds like a great deal.  :cool:

the majority of classic policies do not use or build up NCB (although HIC have a couple that do  :wink:) however your no claims will last for 2years with most companies if its not in use so just have a year on a classic policy, then put it on a policy that will accept ncb next year, classic the year after and so on...

Martin  :smiley:
Cheers Martin - funnily enough I am just working out what to do with the NCB, 'casue as you say, they do not take it into consideration. If the worst comes to the worse I 'll buy a banger for £50 and insure it third party only.

SOLD March 2021