Author Topic: PP Retrofit  (Read 4342 times)

Offline golf nutter

• Not said much yet
PP Retrofit
« on: 17 March 2020, 19:42 »
have done a quick search but couldnt find the answer...will a dealer do a retrofit of the PP on an older non-PP car?  or is it even worth going down that particular rabbit hole?
Mk7 GTi; Mk5 GTi; Mk4 GT TDI; Mk3 VR6; Mk1 GTi;
Mk1 GTi Sportline

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: PP Retrofit
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2020, 20:02 »
have done a quick search but couldnt find the answer...will a dealer do a retrofit of the PP on an older non-PP car?  or is it even worth going down that particular rabbit hole?

A dealer? I'd doubt it.

So the parts list would be:

front brake discs and calipers (?)
Some sort of mediocre sub stage 1 tune

Think that's the only difference.

You'd need to tell your insurer and at the end of it have not a lot more to show for it if you match PP spec.

If you wanted to go down that route, I think you'd be better off with a proper stage 1 tune and a proper performance brake kit - including lines etc. The insurance bill will be the same as will probably the parts and labour!

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2020, 20:09 »
There's the diff too.  :wink:

Save yourself a fortune, just stick a red GTi badge on and pretend  :laugh:
7.5 GTD

Offline buddfridge

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2020, 20:10 »
+ slip diff.
gti pp manual white 5 door

Offline buddfridge

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2020, 20:11 »

There's the diff too.  :wink:

Save yourself a fortune, just stick a red GTi badge on and pretend  :laugh:

Lol that was quick, while I was typing :grin:
« Last Edit: 17 March 2020, 20:13 by buddfridge »
gti pp manual white 5 door

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2020, 20:24 »
Oh yes the diff thingy.

Not sure what the options are there, I am certain someone makes a third party one of those too and that probably outperforms the VW OEM one.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2020, 20:30 »
I'd suggest to not bother, it'll cost a fortune because of the diff. Someone on here fitted black vinyl inserts on the GTI badges which looked good. The extra power of the PP is mostly due to the extra weight of the diff so yours will likely go just as well 90% of the time and in every day driving 100% of the time. If you wanted to spend a reasonable amount then get the PP front brakes, a SH set will probably be quite cheap and fit vented rear discs. The GTI badge on the calipers does look good :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2020, 20:54 »
This is the proper LSD I was think of:

https://shop.quaife.co.uk/vag-2wd-dsg-20t-quaife-atb-helical-lsd-differential

Lighter and higher performance than the VW PP one.

As I said earlier, with some proper performance parts its almost certainly cheaper than going matching the PP build and the insurance company won't hate you any more because even OEM parts are "modifications" and they don't care exactly what it is you have done - might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 17 March 2020, 21:26 »
That site says it's a direct replacement Fred so maybe pp engine/gearbox are different to standard ones ??
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2020, 21:58 »

You would require the following parts from the PP/R:
1. front 340mm brake discs/& 60mm calipers
2. bigger rear vented brake discs 310 x 22mm
3. bigger brake servo/master cylinder

Then fit & wire in a new loom for the PP "Diff" which is NOT a "diff" or LSD"...but a VAQ unit..which is bolted onto the drivers side driveshaft after the existing open diff in the gearbox..

& finally loads of VCDS coding in the braking, ecu & other modules to tell the cars safety & stability systems what other electronics it now has!

Better of fitting either Audi TT-S (ATE) 4pots & 340mm discs (straight bolt on to the front) or the Porsche Macan Brembo 4pots & 345mm Mk6 R discs, stage one tune & a Wavetrak diff in place of the existing open diff...& a better clutch whilst the gearbox is open..
« Last Edit: 17 March 2020, 21:59 by golfdave »