Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529359 times)

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #480 on: 10 April 2016, 07:32 »
Great job!

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #481 on: 10 April 2016, 09:11 »
Thanks!  :smiley:

Here's a couple more pics from this morning. It's rained overnight and the roads are wet so after driving to work this morning, the back window and boot lid are already dirty! I knew it wouldn't last long.

I really should have thought to move the brown food bin before I took the pics but was rushed for time this morning!
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline Gtiless

• Here all the time
« Reply #482 on: 10 April 2016, 10:10 »
It looks great-it didn't look too bad on the "before" pictures either TBF!!

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #483 on: 10 April 2016, 10:23 »
It looks great-it didn't look too bad on the "before" pictures either TBF!!

Thanks :smiley: Pics didn't quite show how dirty it looked. The back and the sides were quite obvious, but as I said the red seems to hide it quite well.

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #484 on: 11 April 2016, 17:03 »
Got the wheels off for their spring application of C5. Washed with Born To Be Mild, Wheel Woolies and WoWo Wheel Mitt, liberal soakings in Korrosol and Tar X and then clayed. Quite a few large tar clumps on the inner barrels. Then IPA wipedown followed by 2 coats of Gtechniq C5.

No pics unfortunately as started tipping down just as I was finishing. Also uncovered some nastiness while I was giving the car a look over: http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=246903.msg2536976#msg2536976
« Last Edit: 11 April 2016, 17:12 by seabrook132 »

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #485 on: 11 April 2016, 17:34 »
2 coats of Gtechniq C5.

Ouch... that's got to hurt the wallet  :shocked:... I used a whole 40ml bottle when I did 1 coat on mine a month or so ago, and that stuff is not cheap (but excellent though).

Must have taken you a while to do all that. Took ages doing mine, but most of that was polishing out some scratches by hand.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #486 on: 11 April 2016, 17:49 »
Got the wheels off for their spring application of C5. Washed with Born To Be Mild, Wheel Woolies and WoWo Wheel Mitt, liberal soakings in Korrosol and Tar X and then clayed. Quite a few large tar clumps on the inner barrels. Then IPA wipedown followed by 2 coats of Gtechniq C5.

No pics unfortunately as started tipping down just as I was finishing. Also uncovered some nastiness while I was giving the car a look over: http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=246903.msg2536976#msg2536976

Hope you get that leak sorted without too much pain. Not what I would expect from a less than 5 year old car.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #487 on: 11 April 2016, 18:30 »

Sounds a very thorough job Dan. Sorry to read about your oil leak, hope it's easily fixable without too much pain and expense.

Don't need pics....know your car will be looking great.  :cool:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #488 on: 11 April 2016, 18:34 »
2 coats of Gtechniq C5.

Ouch... that's got to hurt the wallet  :shocked:... I used a whole 40ml bottle when I did 1 coat on mine a month or so ago, and that stuff is not cheap (but excellent though).

Must have taken you a while to do all that. Took ages doing mine, but most of that was polishing out some scratches by hand.

Already had some left over from when I last did them, find that I use probably 3/4 of a 40ml to do two coats on the Monzas. No polishing on mine today, although they could benefit from some.

Hope you get that leak sorted without too much pain. Not what I would expect from a less than 5 year old car.

Done the PCV valve test and it seems to have failed so that's probably causing the leaks by not relieving the pressure in the crankcase. Will be a DIY fix for the valve but not sure of parts costs just yet, or whether it's permanently buggered the sump seal etc. Car is just over 5 years old and almost 80k miles.

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #489 on: 12 April 2016, 10:25 »
Lovely, lovely job.  :cool:  TR looks so good when washed and waxed. 

Be interested to find out how long your wax will last on top of C2v3.  I'm not convinced the two are compatible and C2 is designed to be used in conjunction with other Gtechniq products, so I can't see wax lasting very long on top of it, but would be good to hear your feedback.  :smiley:

Some feedback on the FK1000p wax on top of the C2v3. As far as I can tell, it seems to be hanging on. Whilst washing, the paint still has that smooth feel and water repellence which to me suggests the wax is still doing it's job (happy to be corrected!). The C2v3 as far as I recall on it's own didn't have those qualities to the same extent (mainly the feel). No idea how long I should expect the wax to last but if this was it (applied 3rd Feb) then I'm happy.

Not sure what to do next now the weather is improving. It definitely needs decontamination, probably claying and polishing plus some stonechips sorting so do I have a go myself or get a pro job done? I shall ponder that one...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.