Author Topic: Oil pressure switch malfunction  (Read 4760 times)

Offline joe6

• I live here
Oil pressure switch malfunction
« on: 21 April 2019, 19:00 »
Did a VCDS scan today and got this engine fault P164D - switch for reduced oil pressure - malfunction - intermittent. Anyone had this problem? Is it the switch malfunction or more serious?

There looks to be 2 sensors ( 2 electrical connectors) under the oil filter housing but do not know which one does what? Any help gratefully received.

Edit: The sensors are brown or blue. Do not know which one?
« Last Edit: 22 April 2019, 13:42 by joe6 »
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: Oil pressure switch malfunction
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2019, 21:56 »
Well got it sorted. Found that the brown sensor is the low pressure sensor 0.22 to 0.55 bar and blue sensor rated at 2.55 bar. Decided that since there was no warning on the dash that it was unlikely to be the low pressure sensor so went for the blue one@ £9.09. Fault code now gone. Found out after removing the sensor that the rating is stated on the underside of the sensor metal nut.

The pressure switches are located under the oil filter housing. To change the pressure switches unbolt the carbon fuel filter and move to one side. Unclip the relevant electrical connector on the sensor - there is a clip to press on the connector and then pull the connector out. Need a long 24mm socket to remove the old sensor. Fit new sensor making sure there is a compression washer to seal the joint and refit the electrical connector and carbon filter.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2019, 22:24 »
Glad its fixed and thank you for posting the info for others in the future.
I would have replied earlier excpet I didn't know the answer.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2019, 13:30 »
Glad its fixed and thank you for posting the info for others in the future.
I would have replied earlier excpet I didn't know the answer.

Yes thought it might help someone in the future. Not many places on the net that I have found for info on the 2.0l petrol.