Author Topic: R32 as a Track Day car?  (Read 15568 times)

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.

Offline stfc_gti

• I live here
Re: R32 as a Track Day car?
« Reply #11 on: 15 March 2012, 14:43 »
Isnt the point of  a track car something you take time on modding your self, the more time you spend on it, the more it becomes a piece of you.
I would be a lot more proud of a car which cost me 2k and spent a year or so modding with the remaining 4k as oposed to a track ready (so to speak) 6k r32.
2002 1.8T GTI AUM, Standard (not for much longer)

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #12 on: 15 March 2012, 16:03 »
You have 6k and you honestly think you could get a E46 M3 CSL seriously ?? my mate has a m3 with a breathed on engine and thats worth about 10k and not even a CSL
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #13 on: 15 March 2012, 16:41 »
You have 6k and you honestly think you could get a E46 M3 CSL seriously ?? my mate has a m3 with a breathed on engine and thats worth about 10k and not even a CSL

:grin:

Quite.

The thing that doesn't seem to have been considered here is the running costs.

Those of a Golf2 with a rorty snorty NA motor will be a huge amount less than an R32, or M3, both of which are pretty brute-ish and will be heavy on consumables.

Does the OP have much experience on track?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #14 on: 15 March 2012, 19:33 »

:grin:

Quite.

The thing that doesn't seem to have been considered here is the running costs.

Those of a Golf2 with a rorty snorty NA motor will be a huge amount less than an R32, or M3, both of which are pretty brute-ish and will be heavy on consumables.

Does the OP have much experience on track?

Not a lot of experience at all, i'm not thinking of running costs because the car will only be used for track days which will be few and far between for the time being.

My problem with a mk2 or car of that era is the lack of electronics, i know it makes the car easier to work with but the electronics help massively in any fault finding!

Mabey not an M3 CSL but you can pick up a 51 plate M3 for 5-6k  :smiley:

I'm just after ideas for the time being, to be honest i would just like something decent to start with that wont be pathetic on the track (like my lupo sport would be) I will be modding anything i buy but not straight away, If i were to buy a standard mk3 it would be hopeless without a lot of time and money spend on it! I work 7 days a week and 2 nights a week so when a weekend off comes round i'd like something i can just get up and go with!

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #15 on: 15 March 2012, 20:23 »
If I were getting a track slag, I'd get something like that MK1 Nick posted that's been prepped and would just need to be well maintained to carry tracking, Then the other 3 grand can be spent on a few upgrades and a trailer :cool:
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #16 on: 15 March 2012, 20:43 »
M3 is not as good as you think my mates one after a couple of track days and fast road stuff the subframe ripped off the chassis and now needs welding and thats a car that was developed with getting round a track fast in mind.. and he lucky his dad has own racing team that can fix it but can you lol ??

Get a mk3 vr6 like DH said.. solid car.. solid engine.. loads of cheapish mods available.. 4wd.. what more you want and you could be track ready for £3500 realisticly and outperform some more expensive stuff and get your experience up before you go stuffing cars like m3 csl's lol plus vr6's go well with a supercharger or turbo and there plenty of kits available
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
« Reply #17 on: 15 March 2012, 20:46 »
I'd go for an Evo.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #18 on: 15 March 2012, 21:09 »
an r32 or vr6 syncro would be perfect vehicles for towing your mk1 or 2 trackday car to the circuit  :afro:

Offline johnnyvr6

• Here all the time
  • golf v6 4motion soon to be 1.8t'd
« Reply #19 on: 15 March 2012, 21:29 »
e46 m3 for 5-6k nice car but asking for trouble at that money,evo 5 or 6 within you price myself i would get a supercharged civic type r