Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529926 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #70 on: 01 October 2015, 16:35 »
You've got a new car Bec? You kept that quiet.

Haha!  Yes it's true - shall I post some pics of it. :grin:  I like to get around the forum you know and can for this one time only legitimately post it in the Mk6, Mk7 and Detailing Sections.  :evil:

Anyway it's about time you, a) got a Golf Mk7 of some description, and b) did some detailing on something with 4 wheels (not a caravan).  :kiss:

Get to it Simon!
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #71 on: 01 October 2015, 17:23 »
I did give the Mk2 a wash and QD a couple of weeks ago. It only ever gets dusty, so it doesn't even need it's wax topping up. The daily cars are getting rather neglected at the moment. If I don't have time to clean them properly, I'd rather leave them alone. I never seem to have the time these days, as I'm chasing my monthly mileage totals on Garmin Connect when even the chance arises.

As for buying another car, A) I've lost all interest in them and B) the hunt is on for a building project. If fact I've made an offer on a knackered cottage with an acre of land, but despite it being the "offers in the region of" price, the seller seems to want to wait until it is properly advertised to see if any higher offers come in. I can see it going for more money than I'm prepared to muster.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #72 on: 01 October 2015, 18:09 »
Cleaned my car for the first time today. Just a good wash for now. Quite a few marks here and there, I think it needs decontamination and claying? Nasty little chip on the bonnet, in fairness it is actually very small and most wouldn't notice but now I know it's there...

If someone has some advice on using a snow foam gun I'd be grateful. I have the one from Wo-Wo connected to a hosepipe. I used Valetpro advanced neutral - plenty of foam but it didn't cling, tried reducing the water pressure which helped a bit but still it just slid off.

I wasn't going to add any pictures as I reckon it won't stand too much scrutiny but it is shiny and very red!

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #73 on: 01 October 2015, 18:28 »
I did give the Mk2 a wash and QD a couple of weeks ago. It only ever gets dusty, so it doesn't even need it's wax topping up. The daily cars are getting rather neglected at the moment. If I don't have time to clean them properly, I'd rather leave them alone. I never seem to have the time these days, as I'm chasing my monthly mileage totals on Garmin Connect when even the chance arises.

As for buying another car, A) I've lost all interest in them and B) the hunt is on for a building project. If fact I've made an offer on a knackered cottage with an acre of land, but despite it being the "offers in the region of" price, the seller seems to want to wait until it is properly advertised to see if any higher offers come in. I can see it going for more money than I'm prepared to muster.

How's the cycling going.  Any sportives coming up?  Haven't managed to get out on mine much lately but now we've got the Amarok at least we can just chuck (carefully place) them all in the back and go off in the one vehicle, without worrying about damaging the R or getting mud all over the place.  A few off road outings are on the cards this winter.

Now your building project sounds interesting.  Are you renovating to sell or renting it out, or keeping as a weekend/holiday home.  You could plant a nice orchard in that acre, nice manageable size.  Hope you manage to secure it at your budgeted price.  Are you planning on doing it all the work yourself, or get other trades in?  Got good contacts? I would think so, you being an architect.  Shame you are so far away as we have good contacts in just about every trade. 

Let us know how you get on.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #74 on: 01 October 2015, 18:36 »
Cleaned my car for the first time today. Just a good wash for now. Quite a few marks here and there, I think it needs decontamination and claying? Nasty little chip on the bonnet, in fairness it is actually very small and most wouldn't notice but now I know it's there...

If someone has some advice on using a snow foam gun I'd be grateful. I have the one from Wo-Wo connected to a hosepipe. I used Valetpro advanced neutral - plenty of foam but it didn't cling, tried reducing the water pressure which helped a bit but still it just slid off.

I wasn't going to add any pictures as I reckon it won't stand too much scrutiny but it is shiny and very red!

That looks great Watts. Tornado Red looks brilliant when clean, a shine like no other.  :cool: 

When you start cleaning your own car you notice things you never saw before.  Then, if you carry on cleaning it, you start to obsess over all these little things.  Vicious circle.  :laugh:

Neil at WoWo is best placed to advise on the use of the WoWo foam cannon.  I use a proper snow foam lance hooked up to a Karcher pressure washer, so not sure about the settings on your cannon.  ValetPro Advanced is the best snow foam IMO.  It's not as thick as some foams but it shifts dirt really well.  Some have very thick foam that clings for England but actually doesn't bring the grime off.  You want it to cling for a couple mins then for it to start sliding off as that's it shifting the muck.  Sounds like you just need to fiddle with the dilution setting (if it has one). Neil's your man for advice on WoWo gear.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 01 October 2015, 18:38 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #75 on: 01 October 2015, 18:52 »
Thanks for that, I'll email Wo-Wo.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #76 on: 01 October 2015, 19:55 »
Hi Watts

Thes now foam lance needs some playing with to get the settings just right. You'll never get as much cling as a PW lance as it doesn't have the range of adjustments but as long as there is some cling then the snow foam will be doing its job.

It might be worth sending me some pictures of your car once covered and when I'm back in the office I have a user video that the lads at OCD Finish did for me.

Cheers

Neil

Ps car look mint!!!! My R was going to be TR until I cancelled it.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #77 on: 01 October 2015, 20:39 »
Thanks Neil. Not sure the foam stays on long enough for a photo! I tried adjusting the dial but that just seemed to thin the foam down, 0 seemed best. Mind you it was very thick foamy foam! Perhaps that's just how it is?

The car does look very shiny, cheers! TR does seem to compensate a bit for marks but I've now found some rather bad swirling on the bonnet. I think I'll have to get someone in for a machine polish.

What did you go for instead of the R?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #78 on: 01 October 2015, 21:21 »
A quick run over with a DA will sort the bonnet.

I'll post pics tomorrow but it's a BMW milk float!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #79 on: 01 October 2015, 22:50 »
I'll post pics tomorrow but it's a BMW milk float!

Yeah, right  :laugh:

Can't wait to see the pics of the milk float.  :wink:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual