Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529815 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #20 on: 16 July 2015, 15:09 »
Upswept ones would make good bottle carries.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 16 July 2015, 15:10 »
Upswept ones would make good bottle carries.

Ever practical  :cool:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 17 July 2015, 21:04 »
Used the Gliptone Leather Cleaner and Gliptone Leather Conditioner on the interior this evening.  I normally use DoDo Juice Supernatural leather cleaner, but ran out and decided to try Gliptone this time round.

Well I was not disappointed.  First time using it but I really like both products, a lot!

The cleaner is very thick, the consistency of runny honey and that's exactly what it looks like.  After vacuuming the seats, I rubbed the leather down with a clean damp cloth then applied the cleaner with a soft microfibre (WoWo MF).  The liquid/gel got easier to apply once the cloth was really soaked.  Once applied I agitated it with the cloth, left it 5 mins then wiped over with a fresh damp cloth.  Did a great job!  The interior had not had a clean for a month but it came up an absolute treat. 

I followed with the conditioner and it is this that impressed the most.  A cream formula, consistency of thick yoghurt, I applied on a MF and worked it well into the leather grain until it was soaked in.  Really good finish and has a genuine leather smell which is rather yummy.

Neither product left any trace of sticky residue which I thought might be a possibility.  It seems like you're using a lot of product but actually when the bottles had settled, there wasn't much used at all so the bottles should last a long time.

It takes a bit of time to do it all properly but is worth the effort IMO.  Really has lifted the interior.  It leaves a lovely matt finish.  Very pleased with the results.  A few pics, (looks shinier in the pics than it is in reality).

« Last Edit: 17 July 2015, 21:06 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: 18 July 2015, 08:19 »
Looks great Bec, I've used the Meguairs one and that takes some time too but it's one of those jobs that needs a little more patience.

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 18 July 2015, 15:18 »
Thanks for the write up Bec, top info as always!! Results looks stunning!!

Do you recommend the Gliptone cleaner over the Dodo Supernatural then? I'm still gonna try a leather coating such as L1 or Gyeon rather than conditioner next time but I'm still not sure which cleaner to go for. Auto Finesse Hide gave ok results but I reckon there's probably better out there.

Back to topic, my car got the following yesterday:
- Usual TBM wash etc
- Quick paint cleanse with Dodo Juice Lime Prime on a white hexlogic pad.
- Collinite 845 applied by machine using a black hexlogic pad.

First time I've applied wax with the DA and I don't know why I haven't done it before!!! Lovely consistent thin coats and was great with a liquid wax like 845! Just gonna have to find another way to do arms workouts now lol  :grin: Didn't snap any pics for some reason, you'll just have to take my word for it that the results were good  :wink:
« Last Edit: 18 July 2015, 15:23 by seabrook132 »

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 18 July 2015, 20:16 »
Thanks for the write up Bec, top info as always!! Results looks stunning!!

Do you recommend the Gliptone cleaner over the Dodo Supernatural then? I'm still gonna try a leather coating such as L1 or Gyeon rather than conditioner next time but I'm still not sure which cleaner to go for. Auto Finesse Hide gave ok results but I reckon there's probably better out there.

Back to topic, my car got the following yesterday:
- Usual TBM wash etc
- Quick paint cleanse with Dodo Juice Lime Prime on a white hexlogic pad.
- Collinite 845 applied by machine using a black hexlogic pad.

First time I've applied wax with the DA and I don't know why I haven't done it before!!! Lovely consistent thin coats and was great with a liquid wax like 845! Just gonna have to find another way to do arms workouts now lol  :grin: Didn't snap any pics for some reason, you'll just have to take my word for it that the results were good  :wink:

Dan, I would definitely recommend the Gliptone cleaner over the DJ Supernatural, particularly if you are going to do a coating of Gtechniq L1.  You'll want  the leather as clean as possible before putting the L1 on and I am in no doubt that the Gliptone Cleaner gives superior results compared to the DJ.  The DJ is probably best used as a weekly cleaning spritz, but for a deep clean Gliptone is much better.  I also used to use Auto Finesse Hide but never keen on it, it seemed to leave a stickiness which I hated, ditched it long ago.

I'm sure your efforts were worth it Dan.  I'm a big fan of Collinite waxes.  I also sometimes apply wax with a DA, but only good for applyingliquid or a paste wax.  It does really takes the effort out of it, even if you still have to buff off by hand.  Agree it gives the perfect thin even layer.  No good for hard wax though, which has to be applied by hand.

Back on topic.....

Washed and waxed with the usual DJ Blue Velvet Pro.  Applied by hand, and buffed off with WoWo micro fibres.  First time I've used these to buff off the wax - brilliant for the job, especially wax that had stayed on a little too long in the sunlight  :wink:  Will be my wax buffing MF of choice from now on - a very versatile cloth!
« Last Edit: 18 July 2015, 21:34 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: 18 July 2015, 23:33 »
Thanks for the comments Bec, we'll hopefully be adding some other variants of MF soon but these will continue to be a regular line.

Not exactly detailing but I looked in dismay at a kernel wheel on Bevs bug, which will be being polished tomorrow to see what I can get out.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 18 July 2015, 23:48 »
Thanks for the comments Bec, we'll hopefully be adding some other variants of MF soon but these will continue to be a regular line.

Not exactly detailing but I looked in dismay at a kernel wheel on Bevs bug, which will be being polished tomorrow to see what I can get out.

Oh no!  The first kerbing is always the worst.  Hope you can lessen it a bit.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #28 on: 19 July 2015, 10:16 »
Used the discount code to purchase some Quartz tyre dressing and snow foam (thanks Booth for arranging that)

:smiley:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 07 August 2015, 10:06 »
Not today but yesterday....and not 'detailing' by me but….

To top off a week of R order woes (long story), the Mk6 went into a body shop yesterday to have some chips on the rear bumper sorted (inflicted by suitcases and bikes).  Assuming they wouldn't clean it, I forgot my usual 'DO NOT CLEAN' messages.  When I returned to collect it, they said, "it's obviously a well looked after car so we cleaned it for you". :shocked:  Cue a sharp intake of breath from me, all I could say in response was, "err, thanks".

So after nearly 3 years of only ever being touched by me, my car has been defiled by another.  :laugh: It 'appears' to have survived relatively unscathed, but as they didn't dry it properly, or at all, it's so covered in water marks I can't really tell!  Will go over it myself this weekend and see.

Posted this in here as one or two of you fellow detailing OCDers will understand. :grin: :laugh:

« Last Edit: 07 August 2015, 10:10 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual