Author Topic: How many fellow TCR owners are there on here?  (Read 13039 times)

Offline atlasgrey

• Not said much yet
Re: How many fellow TCR owners are there on here?
« Reply #40 on: 03 December 2020, 22:29 »
Still to see another on road in Herts/Beds corridor.

Am a Volkswizard subscriber so do get to see all his videos and Atlas Grey has let go of a real good un there, but understand the reasoning as making the effort to get out and do some miles, even if its just to travel out for a scenic walk, but was 3000 miles down on previous year (my average is 9000 miles most years) and unless shackles really come off in second half of 2021 can see it being a similar 6000 given only did 200 miles last month! Going to be a lot of low mileage cars around in next few years.

Have to decide on next change March 2022 so have quite a bit of time yet, but if was looking now it would be a complete pass on the MK 8 with only 2 cars that would look at being the new BMW i.28Ti and the AMG A35 when it face lifts, as did like it, but think it did need another cycle of improvement and that must be soon, with hope they put in a detuned A45 opposed to the overtuned A250

The thinking presently is that keep the TCR beyond the 3 years and would take something significantly attractive to shift that thinking as getting bored and changing for changing sake is not likely.

The only car that would be tempted by is a 2-3 year old RS3 before petrol cars are sent to the naughty corner, but that would take a lot of diligence before pulled trigger on, and maybe staying with the TCR would be best regardless given nothing dislike about it.

Was not an easy choice as it’s the best car I’ve owned, very capable and brilliant all round. I know pan roof is marmite but I like them (once fixed). Due to working from home it was just depressing me to open the curtains and know there was nowhere to go in it, then go and sit in the box room for work. I know other folk have it worse this year though. Lately it’s literally been a once a week 16 mile, or 20 mile the lanes way trip to see my ‘support bubble’.

Summer was a juggle trying to use the two old VWs too, so as the tcr was the only one dropping in value, it came down to just getting some money back out of it, sit out this weird world and put the saved money towards something in future. Am most tempted by cayman or a 996 C4S but if I need more practicality I wouldn’t rule out a return to a tcr.

Enjoy yours!
Corrado VR6, Mk2 Gti 8v, Up Gti (sold), Mk7.5 Gti TCR

Offline jf111

• Not said much yet
« Reply #41 on: 04 December 2020, 01:22 »
I am a TCR owner. Love it but don't love paying for it  :grin:

It sits on the driveway far too much at the moment and seems excessive for what is effectively a car to go shopping in at the moment. I'm tied into the finance though so don't have a way out until I've paid a bit more off it.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 04 December 2020, 10:10 »
Still to see another on road in Herts/Beds corridor.

Am a Volkswizard subscriber so do get to see all his videos and Atlas Grey has let go of a real good un there, but understand the reasoning as making the effort to get out and do some miles, even if its just to travel out for a scenic walk, but was 3000 miles down on previous year (my average is 9000 miles most years) and unless shackles really come off in second half of 2021 can see it being a similar 6000 given only did 200 miles last month! Going to be a lot of low mileage cars around in next few years.

Have to decide on next change March 2022 so have quite a bit of time yet, but if was looking now it would be a complete pass on the MK 8 with only 2 cars that would look at being the new BMW i.28Ti and the AMG A35 when it face lifts, as did like it, but think it did need another cycle of improvement and that must be soon, with hope they put in a detuned A45 opposed to the overtuned A250

The thinking presently is that keep the TCR beyond the 3 years and would take something significantly attractive to shift that thinking as getting bored and changing for changing sake is not likely.

The only car that would be tempted by is a 2-3 year old RS3 before petrol cars are sent to the naughty corner, but that would take a lot of diligence before pulled trigger on, and maybe staying with the TCR would be best regardless given nothing dislike about it.

Was not an easy choice as it’s the best car I’ve owned, very capable and brilliant all round. I know pan roof is marmite but I like them (once fixed). Due to working from home it was just depressing me to open the curtains and know there was nowhere to go in it, then go and sit in the box room for work. I know other folk have it worse this year though. Lately it’s literally been a once a week 16 mile, or 20 mile the lanes way trip to see my ‘support bubble’.

Summer was a juggle trying to use the two old VWs too, so as the tcr was the only one dropping in value, it came down to just getting some money back out of it, sit out this weird world and put the saved money towards something in future. Am most tempted by cayman or a 996 C4S but if I need more practicality I wouldn’t rule out a return to a tcr.

Enjoy yours!

Definitely undersand that as had to get really creative in the summer with some trips out to Norfolk and Suffolk coast and a couple of trips to Cotswolds to some of the quieter places, so that kept my mileage respectable but did less than 200 miles last month as basically did a few local runs just to get out of the house.

Working from home also and without the regular trips into regional offices for huddles (Now called MS Team Meetings)

If you really wanted to have a TCR again it will surely just be a matter of sourcing one when the world is less wobbly and if you subtract the depreciation to what pay, sure the decision will seem even wiser when look at bank balance.

Locked into my car same as jf111, so no escaping, though wife has an Audi A1 Sline 14 plate 185BHP Black Edition and think she done less than 1000 miles in last year opposed to her usual 4-5000 miles, so we said we would give it to turn of year and maybe have to make a decision on that, though as we got it second hand most of the accelerated depreciation is gone, and at under 20,000 miles with FSH the need to shift is not as burning as yours. We reluctant to as we have seen it as a 10yr + car with its known history and low mileage. We could sale and get a turkey when buy again.

Imagine a lot of folk have been through the very same thought process, but based on what you said think you have made the right move as it removes the feeling of it being wasted sitting on drive, and of course the money that is not slipping down the drain next to it each month.

Wonder what the prices will be on TCR at the 3 year mark? will they just be the same as other GTI and R? and maybe lesser that the previous MK 7 given there is the new MK 8 model - Presently intend to purchase it at end of the lease, so be intersting to have a ballpark

Just been out on a local pick up to next town, and when driving it you do forget all the sensible stuff, such a joy, each journey brings a smile,

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #43 on: 04 December 2020, 10:21 »
Wonder what the prices will be on TCR at the 3 year mark? will they just be the same as other GTI and R?

Well if PCP GFV's are anything to go by, not great! I was quoted £12,600 at 3 years. That's less than my Mk7.5 GTD - for a car that was more than 7k extra when new.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 04 December 2020, 10:29 »
Wonder what the prices will be on TCR at the 3 year mark? will they just be the same as other GTI and R?

Well if PCP GFV's are anything to go by, not great! I was quoted £12,600 at 3 years. That's less than my Mk7.5 GTD - for a car that was more than 7k extra when new.

I would be very happy if the lease company just asked for £12,500 at end of the 3 years for me to keep it :)

Anyone here purchase their lease at end of the 3 year? especially company lease?
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #45 on: 04 December 2020, 12:27 »

I would be very happy if the lease company just asked for £12,500 at end of the 3 years for me to keep it :)

Anyone here purchase their lease at end of the 3 year? especially company lease?

Probably a similar situation to the Clubsport. Same gfv as a regular gti in a pcp. Gfv and actual value after the term ends aren’t the same. Sure the TCR will be worth a lot more.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #46 on: 04 December 2020, 12:47 »

Probably a similar situation to the Clubsport. Same gfv as a regular gti in a pcp. Gfv and actual value after the term ends aren’t the same. Sure the TCR will be worth a lot more.

I have read that, in there being no differentiation seen by the lease company, its a by the numbers exercise, and so each GTI or R will price out the same, which hope is what occurs as will make my case to keep just that bit stronger.

Offline jf111

• Not said much yet
« Reply #47 on: 04 December 2020, 14:42 »
My GFV is £13400 after 4 years. I'd be amazed it it was worth that in 4 years though. The value of TCRs is dropping extremely quickly but maybe the curve will flatten after the initial depreciation. If the pandemic stuff dies down a bit I can see the value creeping up again but the cars aren't really rare or special enough to command much extra over a regular GTI, in my opinion.

I wish the dealer had been more informed about the different options available. I ended up with a car without the performance pack but with enough options to qualify for luxury car tax. If I'd have known either of those things up front then I'd have ordered something else. It was exciting at the time though and I'd already sold my old car so was under pressure to buy something. At the time (Feburary) things were still completely normal.

Hoping I can jack in the car at about the 2 year mark and get something with cheaper monthlies, or just hand it back and call it quits, then find a cheap lease deal for some econobox until I save up a few grand. Then I'll buy something older and more interesting now that i don't need a car every day. Depends what VWFS let me do really.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 04 December 2020, 14:45 »

You can normally get a settlement on a company lease. Back in 2017, The settlement on 'my' 2-year-old C200 AMG Line was £18.5k. I sold to a trader and made £500 without doing anything other a couple of phone calls. It was then retailed at £23.5k so there was some decent margin in that one.

But I got a settlement figure my GTI Performance this year and that was £19.5k. Probably a bit cheaper than you could get one retail but there wasn't enough for it go through my trade contacts so let them pick it up.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #49 on: 04 December 2020, 15:02 »
But I got a settlement figure my GTI Performance this year and that was £19.5k. Probably a bit cheaper than you could get one retail but there wasn't enough for it go through my trade contacts so let them pick it up.

Settlement is going to be outstanding balance + interest yet unpaid (ie the full amount they would have earnt from you if you kept paying until the end) + some sort of admin fee.

There probably is some sort of graph you could plot that would show cost to payoff vs trade value and I doubt if it makes much sense until at least 70% through the term, maybe even later. It will depend on the car though.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC