Author Topic: Electronic water pump problem  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Gtiless

• Here all the time
Electronic water pump problem
« on: 18 May 2019, 12:25 »
Last week my engine management light came on on my 14 plate Gti so I took it to my pals garage and plugged it in and it seems the electronic water pump has gone (temp usually runs at 90 it was fluctuating up to100/110)

It seems we can only get a genuine pump from VW at around £310 plus vat.

Has anyone else had this problem? It seems a common thing when you start having a search but for a 26k miles 5 year old car looks like it may be another VW special chocolate engine part.

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Electronic water pump problem
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2019, 19:21 »
Yup water pumps are rubbish and break on the Mk7 (not just the GTI either). Its one of the most common faults with the Mk7.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Gtiless

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2019, 21:30 »
Thanks Fred-Id not heard about it before-my pal who is going repair it hasn't done one before either,it looks a right pain to do as well!

Anyone got any ideas of how long it may take to swap it over?

Offline dereks

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2019, 09:40 »
Had mines done also(car was 4.5yo and 22k) think it’s the sensor in the housing that goes when water leaks into it.

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2019, 09:56 »
Its often the impeller that breaks - lots of people on here who've had that plus two of my colleagues with 14 plate GTD's had it happen - my 14 plate GTD managed to avoid it yet I did as many miles as they did.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC