Author Topic: Quaife LSD for Edition 30.  (Read 7027 times)

Offline speedynz

• Here all the time
Quaife LSD for Edition 30.
« on: 09 March 2008, 21:30 »
I've done a search and seen a lot of talk about the Quaife LSD but can't find any feedback from anyone who's fitted one or any independent tests. Has anyone actually fitted the Quaife LSD to an Edition 30 or standard GTI?

If so, how good/bad is it?
EDITION 30.
I couldn't eat a whole one.

trint

Re: Quaife LSD for Edition 30.
« Reply #1 on: 09 March 2008, 21:46 »
just as I was making a search for that quaife lsd I noticed your post. I've found this just out of interest

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engines-transmission/3074-quaife-lsd-my-thoughts.html

Offline speedynz

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 09 March 2008, 22:40 »
just as I was making a search for that quaife lsd I noticed your post. I've found this just out of interest

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engines-transmission/3074-quaife-lsd-my-thoughts.html
Helpful post trint, when people spend their 'hard earned' on a product they understandably tend to have a bit of a rave about it whilst overlooking the 'deficiences'.

Setting up a slippy diff is not an easy process and can lead to dramatic changes in handling characteristics which is why I'd like some honest feedback.

Anyone else reading this thread should take a look at trints link.
EDITION 30.

Offline SteveS

• I live here
  • GTI ED30
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2008, 22:52 »
well that link puts me off getting one! lol
SteveS

ED30: Carbonio Intake & Filter | Blueflame TBE | Ebach Sportlines | Neuspeed Torque Arm Insert | Forge DV | REVO Stage2 [353BHP/360lb/ft]

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2008, 00:52 »
Guys, that posted link is a thread from 2001 !!!!! Quaife's ATB technology has moved on from then!

The Quaife for the Mk5 GTI is already in discussion here: http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=76901.0
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline speedynz

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2008, 01:43 »
Guys, that posted link is a thread from 2001 !!!!! Quaife's ATB technology has moved on from then!

The Quaife for the Mk5 GTI is already in discussion here: http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=76901.0
Thanks Robin, I'd read that link but no one has posted after fitting one and I'd love some user comments.
EDITION 30.

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 10 March 2008, 07:51 »

Thanks Robin, I'd read that link but no one has posted after fitting one and I'd love some user comments.

....I think that's only because no-one has fitted one yet that we know of.

The DSG box of tricks isn't actually new, first appearing in 1980's Audi Quattro rally beast, but has only recently gained acceptance. It's percieved as being somewhat more complicated than it is and also as expensive to replace. Our beloved Mk5 GTI's are only just ageing beyond their warranty period and so there is a natural reluctance to break into that DSG box. In fact the Quaife ATB is a fit & forget component and does not live at a deep level inside the DSG unit.

I'm keeping an eye across the pond where the American boys go steaming in with mods much more readily and where I expect to read reports about it well before doing so here. Obviously I'll post accordingly unless someone beats me to it. :smiley:

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline golfgtig60

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 10 March 2008, 14:07 »
I have a Quaife ATB diff fitted to my Edition 30 (I think Quaife used my car as a guinea pig to develop the Edition 30 diff as it was found to be slightly different to the regular GTI one - they had it for 2-3 weeks).

So far I have found it to be a very good improvement over standard, with no negative side affects (increased torque steer etc). I mainly fitted it as I am running approx. 320BHP and use the car for quite a few track days where it comes into its own really.

I would also add that in the wet it is still quite easy to light up both front wheels at lower speeds and that is doesn't completly stop the wheel hop that everyone seams to be complaining of (I also have the following chassis mods: Koni FSD's, Eibach springs, H&R anti-roll bars, Morego powergrip kit and ECS dogbone mount).

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 10 March 2008, 14:53 »
....A Warm Welcome to the forum, g60 :smiley: - You were obviously lurking but mention of the magic word "Quaife" brought you out of the shadows :grin:.

Very useful feedback - Especially for me who has similar suspension - KoniFSD + Eibach ProKit + Eibach ARB's + Neuspeed insert but not the shortened Morego wishbones. Methinks you would benefit significantly on track with AP Racing Big Brakes - It is likely to shave lap time.

With 320 neddies on the front wheels it's really not surprising that you would still light up the front wheels in the wet, or even damp. What tyres are you running on the road?

I expect that the ESP still comes in when needed but just that the need is higher up the scale.

So, overall, would you say the Quaife is beneficial for fast road use? :cool:
« Last Edit: 10 March 2008, 19:49 by RedRobin »

Offline golfgtig60

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 10 March 2008, 17:45 »
Thanks for the warm welcome RedRobin  :smiley:

As for brakes, I was running the VW Racing 6 pot caliper big brake kit on the front which were perfect for track use but I found them a bit unrefined for road use (too much noise when not up to temperature). I am now running R32 front brakes and am waiting for Ed @ APS to do the rear R32 brakes as well. I have found this a much better option on the road (I do 100 road miles a day with the car) although I am yet to test them on the track.

I am running Michelin Pilot Sport 2's for road and track at the moment and find them to be very good. My next upgrade is to find another set of Edition 30 rims to fit some Toyo R888 track day tyres.

Overall I would highly recommend the diff upgrade (although it is quite expensive!) and I find it a great benefit for fast road use.