Author Topic: 20vt mk2 sleeper project.written off :(  (Read 115651 times)

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
Re: 5 door mk2. wreck to riches on a budget
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2010, 16:31 »
they have the standard black vynl covering and you are right, there is a little bit of nastiness in there. it'll be sorted though

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2010, 20:47 »
Oh well, nowt too bad i hope... just took my skirts off and posting my findings!

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2010, 13:46 »
not bad. 2 spots about the size of a 50p.

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2010, 12:46 »
not bad. 2 spots about the size of a 50p.

day 4
 :grin: ground back the 50p sized holes and they are more like £50 notes now! never mind, we have the technology.

didnt get a lot done tonight as i had to sort the wife's car out. back box dropped off on the way to the workshop (7pm) so had to bodge a replacement. the old one was well and truly seizxed in place so it was a bit of a pain. also spotted driveshaft bolts coming lose so possibly a blessing in disguise...

anyway onto the golf.

i had discussed the wheel/arch interferrance issues with my mechanic friend. we talked about rolling the arches out and running the car without the arch trims or side trims. i do like this idea but the whole point of this excercise was to create a stock looking car and let the wheels do the shouting. with budgets firmly on our minds we decided that trimming the return lisp off the arches then bonding the trims on was the best option.   hope i dont get shot down for that  :embarassed:

so arch trims off and straight away this seems to be a pretty good plan. tin worm has taken its toll on the return lips so they would need to come off anyway. felt a lot better about it after seeing that.

after the metal was trimmed back we gave it a quick squirt of paint to protect the bare metal. we are going to seal it all up properly shortly.

while the car was in the air i removed the rear bumper mainly to make sure the bolts had not seized. thankfully they came out relatively easily.

after refitting the wheels we dropped the fcar back down. filled the boot with wheels and i sat on the edge of the boot. this resulted in no rubbing.  (previously with 50kg in the boot the arch was hitting the tyre to such an extent it felt like the handbrake was sticking)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2010, 12:58 »
nice one, dont think you'll be shot down for anything, you've been working on keeping the look but making it work with the wheels.  you should get credit. Anyway you had to get rid of the rot so its all good!  :cool:

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2010, 17:12 »
its lighter now too  :laugh:

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2010, 20:52 »
Didn't have a lot of time tonight so tried a simple, clean job. Passenger front window winder is really struggling, in fact its doing sod all.

Stripped the  door card off (2 screws each side of the card, 2 screws in the door handle, 1 screw in the winder handle, slide forward the surround of the release handle, screw off the door pin. Card then lifts upwards  and off.)

Pulled the membrane off to get to the mechanism. Came out easily enough to reveal that the wire is jammed and only attached at one end.

Had a look at the regulator in the 3 door and it looks like it will fit with not much hassle. Stripped it out, offered it up and... Its close but not worth the effort.

The search is now on for a replacement.

Spent the rest of my time  taking dull pictures of 3 door bits for ebay.

Not much of an update but i'm liking the opportunity to be able to record my progress.

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
Re: 5 door mk2 8v project
« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2010, 12:29 »
day 6.

ball ache of an evening tonight.  panel alignment.

started with the o/s/r door which was sitting too far in. adjusted the latch and got the bottom of the door bang on but the top was proud. gently massages that into place. then moven on to the front door. this was a complete pain and took ages. i have got it better than it was but its not perfect. there is a bit of play in the hinge pins. the only way to get it right at the minute is to lift the latch but that then makes it difficult to open. plus it will probably increase the rate of wear.

front wing next which was akward too as the bonnet has been replaced so i had run out of datum points.

adjusted the bonnet/scuttle gap and got the bonnet height set. this then gave me something to work to for the wing. n/s/f gap is now huge though which is a bit of a worry. got the o/s sorted and ran out of time.

chopped the front arches back too so we now have clearance all round. next job is to trim the arch trims and the tops. my mate says to leave them and let the tyres do the trimming but i'm going to give it a fresh mot before it goes back on the road so i'd rather it was "right".

latest pic with improved panel gaps.

couldnt resist fitting the grill either...

no more updates for a few days as i need to get the wife's saxo running...

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #18 on: 19 May 2010, 12:36 »
box of golf shaped bits have just arrived so i can replace the gaffer tape with glass and the screwdriver shaped wedge with a winder mechanism tonight!

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2010, 23:53 »
Well the saxo is up and running tonight so managed a quick few minutes on the golf. It's covered in dust which people have been writing in so i gave it a clean to prevent potential scratching. I realise my wife is filthy, don't need the rest of the world to know!

Tried to replace the rear quarter glass. I've done it on a 6n polo before and it was a doddle. Not so on the golf! Really struggling to simply get the rubber on the glass. Gave up after about 40 mins and taken it home to warm it up in the bath.

Next i decided to install the replacement window winder mechanism. Thankfully i bought the correct one and it fitted straight in with on hassle. One less job to do.  Whilst i was in there i noticed there's not a lot of sound deadening in there so i think i'm going to line all the doors at some point soon.

Also spotted a strange plastic tube going to the door lock. CENTRAL LOCKING! awesome! Never had a car with central locking before! Gave it a suck and it locked the rear doors. I'll investigate to see if the tube has popped off the driver's door.

Told you i didn't do much!