Author Topic: GTI Stolen - thoughts on replacement  (Read 19563 times)

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
Re: GTI Stolen - thoughts on replacement
« Reply #80 on: 21 March 2020, 07:08 »
Echo your point about anti-snap locks sandsy. Many of us are living behind the ubiquitous Euro Lock, thinking we are secure, but often vulnerable, as they can be really easy to break through. Simple job to change out  for anyone remotely handy with a screwdriver, and decent, properly secure, locks are available online. Google Euro Lock and have a browse - you may find your locks are OK, but you may be shocked! Doesn’t hurt to change your locks every so often, anyway. Make it one of your self-isolation projects!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: GTI Stolen - thoughts on replacement
« Reply #81 on: 21 March 2020, 08:07 »
Echo your point about anti-snap locks sandsy. Many of us are living behind the ubiquitous Euro Lock, thinking we are secure, but often vulnerable, as they can be really easy to break through. Simple job to change out  for anyone remotely handy with a screwdriver, and decent, properly secure, locks are available online. Google Euro Lock and have a browse - you may find your locks are OK, but you may be shocked! Doesn’t hurt to change your locks every so often, anyway. Make it one of your self-isolation projects!
Totally agree. Until you see the videos of lock snapping, it’s hard to comprehend how easy it is. You can have the best door in the world but if the lock cylinder is weak it can be opened in literally seconds. For years I’ve not even given it a second thought. I thought the door strength and multipoint locking mechanism mattered most, but it really doesn’t.

I changed the three main door entry points to my house to Avocet ATK 3* locks (https://amzn.to/2wj1PCy). It only cost £150 and each lock took only 5mins to fit DIY with just a screwdriver needed. I’m the worlds least ‘handy’ man, so if I can do it then anyone can.

If your doors are quite old then also think about upgrading your door handles/furniture to metal. Again, very cheap (and easy to do) and great peace of mind.

P.s I chose the ATK cylinders over the ABS due to there being very easy to buy devices that can pick the magnetic key cylinders quite quickly!

HTH anybody thinking of changing their cylinders.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.