Author Topic: Window dropped..grrrr..Anyone ever contested with VW?  (Read 1826 times)

Offline cheekyboy_123

• Not said much yet
Hi All

Has anyone ever contacted VW and had their windows sorted for free (out of warranty)..
There is clearly a design fault and replacements do rectify problem but having paid £180 squid to have one done am worried about the other three..Surely VW should be accountable for this> Has anyone ever had them done as a gesture of goodwill (again out of warranty)?
I wondering if complaining to their Headoffice and threatening to goto press/watchdog would help?

Offline GolfGL

• I live here
Re: Window dropped..grrrr..Anyone ever contested with VW?
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2006, 11:57 »
I tried but they didnt really care on my 6 year old golf so i just paid the £70 and done it myself using the guide at the top. Last night on watchdog they had the flimsy renault clio bonnet catch which was actually extremly dangerous as it just flung open at speeds. I dont think renault owned upto it and no one got any money but might be worth a try.
Audi TT 3.2 24v v6 2005 - The Sloth - Weekends
VW Golf 2.0 8v GTI 1996 - Lemonade II -Daily
MNR Vortx Yamaha R1 2009 - Track days
Sold Seat Leon Cupra R 225 -LM04 NDE "Lemonade"

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2006, 13:43 »
I had both of them go on my 3 door, but luckily I had an extended warranty (which runs out 17th May :cry:).

Apparently, in the US they replaced any of the regulators that failed, any age, F.O.C..  You'll be lucky to get that kind of service here, though, as they know that us Brits are complete 'walkovers', where as the Yanks would simply not stand for it.
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline welshgar

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2006, 21:15 »
i had my driver side one done on warranty, but when the other went, (3 weeks out of warranty) VW just said f@@k off  :angry: :sad:

its worth a go tho'

Mk4 GT TDi::RS4's::weitec coilies::RCCR::polo mirrors::cream leather::
MK1 1.5 GL Auto restoration....coming along slowly :-(
its not the winning that gives me pleasure....its the taking apart

Offline D Owen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2006, 16:58 »
my golf tdi is still under warranty (think its got until Jan 07) and i have been thinking about actually breaking the plastic regulator clips on both sides myself by holding the window firmly whlie winding them down.

Was wondering what other people would do?

Offline welshgar

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2006, 19:07 »
my golf tdi is still under warranty (think its got until Jan 07) and i have been thinking about actually breaking the plastic regulator clips on both sides myself by holding the window firmly whlie winding them down.

Was wondering what other people would do?

:grin: i think that sounds like a plan  :grin:

beats paying for it, do you definately know you have plastic clips??

Offline D Owen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 29 April 2006, 07:29 »
no thats the thing im not 100% sure if i do.  I know how to check but i dont want to take off the door cover if i dont have to.

any other way of checking?

Offline ginner

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 29 April 2006, 07:35 »
I've heard tell of Skoda drivers getting it done out of warranty but lets face it the customer service is better for them as well I mean how can Skoda finish every year with least 2 cars in the top 10 customer satisfaction surveys when VW finish a lot further down if it isn't because of the customer service they receive from Skoda. It used to be that it felt like VW honed cars out of rock but you can see the change in the Mk5 when they start using cheap light blue plastic in a £25000 hatchback you know the times are a changing, I bet they say its because all materials are recycled but what do I know.

Offline welshgar

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2006, 12:33 »
no thats the thing im not 100% sure if i do.  I know how to check but i dont want to take off the door cover if i dont have to.

any other way of checking?

:undecided: in your service book?? you might find some reciepts if your lucky.

otherwise, its quite easy to take your door cover off, then inside youve got 2 black grommets, pop those off and lower your window to the right height to check.... gotta be easier than paying for new clips in the future  IF you have the plastic ones   :undecided:

Offline APS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 01 May 2006, 13:17 »
Nope i would bother asking VW to be honest , although every MK4 in the USA has a recall for that very reason i believe !
Ive just returned from the USA and while i was there i costed the part $ 75 (£44ish)

However .... i had my passenger side go recently !

bought the kit off Ebay for £33ish then had RAC windscreens fit it for me 1hr labour @ £30 ...

total £ 63 !

takes some beating id say  :smiley:

regards
Golf MK4 1.8T