Author Topic: Which amp?  (Read 4187 times)

Offline BallsDeep

• GTI forum regular
Re: Which amp?
« Reply #10 on: 17 January 2012, 19:07 »
oh man!!!

i wanted to change my forum name to ballsdeep and now its been taken!! :laugh:

Was surprised that it wasn't took a couple of months ago when I signed up ;)

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #11 on: 17 January 2012, 20:59 »
Also take out the 6 x 9's and get some decent front door speakers!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline BallsDeep

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 17 January 2012, 21:12 »

What's decent nowadays?

In my last car I had a pair of infinity speakers in my door cards  :sick:

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #13 on: 17 January 2012, 21:33 »

What's decent nowadays?

Were they component speakers? Separate tweeters and woofers for the door cards? I have Infinity components hooked up to my amp and they are brilliant.

Offline BallsDeep

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 17 January 2012, 23:30 »

What's decent nowadays?

Were they component speakers? Separate tweeters and woofers for the door cards? I have Infinity components hooked up to my amp and they are brilliant.

Yep and nope just wired straight to the head unit, maybe why they weren't so great :)

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #15 on: 18 January 2012, 01:14 »
That would be why. :grin: Component speakers are made to allow the high frequencies of sound through the tweeters, and the mid sounds to the door cards. Head unit wouldn't be able to provide the power to them to begin with as most head units are around 45w RMS (so about 10/15w per channel). Component speakers usually need at least 60w odd each!

I have a pair of Infinity components in the front and my sub handles the bass, all of which are powered by that JBL amp I mentioned earlier. That set up is all you need if you just want some good decent quality sounding music. Had the set up for almost 4 years now.

Offline BallsDeep

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 18 January 2012, 01:20 »
That would be why. :grin: Component speakers are made to allow the high frequencies of sound through the tweeters, and the mid sounds to the door cards. Head unit wouldn't be able to provide the power to them to begin with as most head units are around 45w RMS (so about 10/15w per channel). Component speakers usually need at least 60w odd each!

I have a pair of Infinity components in the front and my sub handles the bass, all of which are powered by that JBL amp I mentioned earlier. That set up is all you need if you just want some good decent quality sounding music. Had the set up for almost 4 years now.

If I get all the kit how much would it cost to get someone to fit it all for me? All the amp wiring is already set up  :cool:

Offline olliemk3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 19 January 2012, 18:43 »
i use a 3000 odd watt vibe blackbox amp its the nuts, stupidly loud and reliable

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
« Reply #18 on: 19 January 2012, 20:50 »

If I get all the kit how much would it cost to get someone to fit it all for me? All the amp wiring is already set up  :cool:

You would probably need to get the wiring checked and possibly redone to make it safe with correct fusing etc.

I think Jbl Amps are good for the money. Depends what setup you want. In my lupo i have  a single rockford fosgate amp running a crystal sub and Rainbow components. In the mk3 i have a two jbl amps. A 600wrms amp for the sub and another 100wrms per channel running some rubbish(IMO) focal comps.

Whilst the Golf is louder, the lupo has much better quality sound and tighter bass.

The Components are the most important part, so spend as much as you can on some decent ones.

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose