Author Topic: Which amp?  (Read 4205 times)

Offline BallsDeep

• GTI forum regular
Which amp?
« on: 13 January 2012, 00:21 »
Hi

Not really that good with car audio so thought i'd ask what I need.

I have a Kenwood KDC-7024 headunit, vibe 6x9's in parcel shelf, standard front speakers in door cards, and no speakers in rear door cards. I also have a Kickers 1500w subwoofer.

I blew up my Alpine amp but it was only a 150w amp, so I'm just wondering what sort of amp would be good to power everything? Nothing too expensive. :)

Aaron

Offline mvb

• GTI forum regular
Re: Which amp?
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2012, 14:33 »
try on fleabay - Directed 600d

orion amps also.

I Love My GTI

Offline RnP

• Here all the time
  • Audi S4 gone, looking for b5 rs4
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2012, 15:47 »
i use an alpine v12 to power my sub and  comps

Offline BallsDeep

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2012, 17:53 »
Also when I install my new amp when I get one, do I have to take the battery out? Worried because my cd player came with the car and I don't have a code for it, so if I remove the battery the code's gonna reset isn't it?

Offline dragongreengolfgti

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2012, 19:21 »
You need something 600w + really and definately 4 channel with sub bridged and 6x9's run normally you can take the fuse out of the positive cable before wiring the amp up then simply place it back in once you have finished wiring no need to disconnect the battery  :smiley:

Offline BallsDeep

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2012, 19:26 »
You need something 600w + really and definately 4 channel with sub bridged and 6x9's run normally you can take the fuse out of the positive cable before wiring the amp up then simply place it back in once you have finished wiring no need to disconnect the battery  :smiley:

The 6x9s have been run to the headunit mate. Can you recommend an amp? I'm after a cheap second hand one tbh, and thanks so if I just take out the fuses nothing can blow?

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2012, 19:31 »
I have a JBL 1004e, it's a 4 channel amp with an RMS output of 600w. Try looking for one of those.

Offline dragongreengolfgti

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2012, 19:36 »
I'm not saying nothing can blow because i don't know how good you are at wiring  :laugh: but assuming you can wire it up correctly you will be fine  :smiley: Yes there should be one fuse usually 30 amp by the battery on the positive wire to the amp, Take it out till you have it wired up. For a second hand 4 channel amp with atleast 600 watt capabilty will set you back about 50-100 i guess. I can't recommend an exact one but for good affordable make i'd look at jbl gto stuff maybe.

You could wire the 6x9's into the amp and then the sub which would sound better than wired to the head unit and then wire some back door card speakers to the head unit so you will have 6 speakers running same as me sounds mint  :smiley: i also have a 4 tweater system going made by fli it sounds crystal  :wink:

Offline BallsDeep

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2012, 19:59 »
Sounds good thanks for the advice ;)

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
  • too low for british roads!
« Reply #9 on: 17 January 2012, 18:30 »
oh man!!!

i wanted to change my forum name to ballsdeep and now its been taken!! :laugh: