Author Topic: HOW TO: Install a Bluetooth Hands Free with Mic.  (Read 127140 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: HOW TO: Install a Bluetooth Hands Free with Mic.
« Reply #30 on: 30 August 2012, 15:46 »
I wrapped mine in a towel to stop it rattling and you don't hear a thing.
As for space, its a tardis in there. Loads of room so don't worry that you'll need a shoehorn to get it in.

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline abh100

• Not said much yet
« Reply #31 on: 30 August 2012, 17:17 »
Seriously?   :huh:  In a cotton towel surrounded by other (albeit 12V) electric cables?
I almost imagined you should screw it to something using its fixing points.
Mk6 GTi, 5dr, Manual, '61, Black, Leather, Ross-Tech VCDS MicroCAN/USB, RCD510+BT

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 30 August 2012, 23:31 »
Yeah seriously!
Been there for just under 3 years without an issue. All the VW wiring is covered by a cloth tape anyway so there is no heat source.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #33 on: 31 August 2012, 10:41 »
Mine is just stuffed down behind the heater controls. I didn't even wrap it in anything. I just found a place to wedge it in and not heard a peep out of it since.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline finnie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #34 on: 30 October 2012, 16:24 »
Ok so got one of these off beatable nod just got it all fitted. So far so good. In fact it all works from the rns510 after guessing the Bluetooth code!!!! Well happy!

There is a but though, my airbag light is now on. I did start the car with the surround for the heating system off so the light for the passenegrairbag wasn't plugged in. Could that be it?

I'm hoping that letting the car shut down will clear things up so that when I start it again in a couple of hours all will be fine. Just in case I thought I'd ask here.

All opinions welcome.

Next job is vagcom to do the other programming for the MFD. anyone in Moray/Aberdeen/Inverness who can help?

Offline p3eps

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 11 November 2012, 19:50 »
There is a but though, my airbag light is now on. I did start the car with the surround for the heating system off so the light for the passenegrairbag wasn't plugged in. Could that be it?

Yep - disconnecting the airbag light is enough to do it.  I think it'll need the fault cleared by VagCom to get rid of it.
Golf R... 3 door, DSG, Leather, Reflex Silver, Black 19" Talladega Wheels, ACC, Parking Sensors, RNS510 with Dynaudio, Reverse Camera, Luxury Pack, Cruise Control & Fiscon Bluetooth.

Offline finnie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #36 on: 12 November 2012, 20:01 »
Big thanks to glen mr three-_ss for helping me out today. Say nav Woking one the mfd, same with the Bluetooth. Also got the staging on the car and my airbag light cleared. Well happy!

Offline abh100

• Not said much yet
« Reply #37 on: 18 February 2013, 21:04 »
Big thanks p3eps for your guide - I bought my BT module from www.carsystems.pl and it arrived, from Poland, with all the cables and everything needed to do it quite simply.  The mic is now successfully in the OEM slot above the front courtesy lights (accidentally chipped the lens on one - damn! Only comes down on one side!), and a good bit of coathanger poking meant I could get the mic wire around, and followed some CarSystems instructions http://www.carsystems.home.pl/instrukcje/bluetooth%20golf%20VI.pdf (in addition to yours) to install the BT unit quite easily under the passenger seat as intended.

Amazingly, the buttons on the steering wheel work absolutely fine with no need for coding - I can press the phone button, view through my phonebook, etc., via the steering wheel.  Odd that.

Tested the mic by calling my home phone - sounds nice and clear so no need for a mic on the pillar it seems.

However, like a complete and utter plonker I skipped over the warnings on this thread and disconnected the Passenger Airbag light beneath the Aircon when removing the trim, and now have an Airbag warning everytime I turn the ignition on.  Oh dear (*hits head against wall* :rolleyes:).

Does anyone know someone with Vagcom in the Reading/Berkshire area that could reset it for me?
Mk6 GTi, 5dr, Manual, '61, Black, Leather, Ross-Tech VCDS MicroCAN/USB, RCD510+BT

Offline abh100

• Not said much yet
« Reply #38 on: 24 February 2013, 16:56 »
BTW - just a quick update in case anyone has the same issue as me:

Having fitted the bluetooth system, for some reason all speakers worked ok with the cellphone, CD, SD, Radio, however the USB and iPod only used the right speakers - the left were silent.

I re-checked the connectors were well seated and also confirmed that, when removing the kit, everything worked OK.

In the end - checked the Pin assignments for my RCD510 on http://www.my-gti.com/1313/volkswagen-rcd-510-pin-assignments and it turned out that Pin 7 (brown/black - aux right input) had been pushed out of the socket on the CarSystems kit - so I rechecked the pins were in the correct places, held the wires firmly and then reseated the connectors - all sorted!

Thanks again to p3eps for the guidance on this thread - very useful!

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 14 April 2013, 20:16 »
This is a brilliant guide! Very useful and i wil be using it in the next few weeks to install mu new head unit and Bluetooth.

About the mic, I have just bought an RNS315 but there is no mic, what sort do I need? Is it just a 3.5mm jack plug?

2008 R32 DBP gone. 2008 GT TDI going 2009 GTI coming soon!