Author Topic: New car day!  (Read 4059 times)

steve12345

Re: New car day!
« Reply #10 on: 13 March 2019, 12:39 »
So out of curiosity I checked the oil levels. The car was on a slight decline so this could of effected the result but it was showing as being right on the bottom line. It also look a little discoloured, the oil wasn’t totally black bit it looked a little dirty. It was last serviced about 2k miles & 2 months ago.

Also checking the service booklet it looks like my car uses long life oil and the booklet doesn’t give a clear X amount of miles/years before changes. Am I right in assuming the car will tell me when the oil service is due, depending on how hard / easy the car has been driven?! If so I couldn’t find this section on the screen in the car.

Should I be worried about the oil running a little dirty? I’ll probably buy a litre bottle and top it up if needed, I’ll check the level again on flat street first. Do you generally find you need oil top ups between services?

I also had a question on the sat nav. Using my own SD card I downloaded the update and loaded this into the car. The maps are updated so it seems like that worked! However I can’t search an address using a Post Code. Seems a bit long winded to have to key in the full address. Is this just how it is or am I missing something?

As always thanks in advance for the advice!

Offline hobbes22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 13 March 2019, 12:43 »
If I remember correctly, When you are in the address field, there is a button bottom left to enter a Postcode.
Sold - Octavia 2.0 PD Tdi. Shark remap. EGR Delete. Decat. H&R Shocks. Hybrid Turbo.

Sold - 2016 GTI PP, Manual. Pure White. Keyless.

Current - GTI Performance, DSG, Isaac Blue, Brescia 19”.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 13 March 2019, 12:57 »
However I can’t search an address using a Post Code. Seems a bit long winded to have to key in the full address. Is this just how it is or am I missing something?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPIO6QsggrA
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 13 March 2019, 13:17 »
The oil is the same for 10k servicing or long life.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

steve12345

« Reply #14 on: 13 March 2019, 14:20 »
thanks for you tube link!

so all GTI's are on a 10k/1 year service plan?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 13 March 2019, 15:17 »
thanks for you tube link!

so all GTI's are on a 10k/1 year service plan?

The default service regime from the factory when the car is new is variable / long life. This can be changed to the time and distance service regime. As mcmaddy has said, irrespective of service regime, Vw use the same oil (longlife) when performing an oil change.

If you have a VW service plan, then servicing should be time and distance.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 13 March 2019, 17:01 »
However I can’t search an address using a Post Code. Seems a bit long winded to have to key in the full address. Is this just how it is or am I missing something?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPIO6QsggrA

I thought the way shown in the video was the only was and found it slow and annoying as you have to always press postcode, then select letters and switch between the two. As pointed out on a thread ages ago, there is a quicker way which means you can enter the postcode straight away when selecting 'new destination'. It also is a bigger display so has the numbers and letters on same screen so saves time having to alternate between the two.

See pics below of how to change what comes up, there is a button top right to change between enter address step by step and POI or address. This might only work on newer units, not sure.

« Last Edit: 13 March 2019, 17:06 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

steve12345

« Reply #17 on: 13 March 2019, 21:46 »
Thanks for the responses - makes sense now!

Jim I think that only works on the newer models. I don’t have a “POI or address” option. I’m ok with flipping over to postcode though.

I presume the traffic updates are available via gps / radio data? Not a 3G or internet connection right?

Offline watchdog

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 14 March 2019, 16:53 »

I have been trying to delete all last destinations on the Nav without success. Whats the procedure for this please.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #19 on: 14 March 2019, 17:59 »

I have been trying to delete all last destinations on the Nav without success. Whats the procedure for this please.

Car settings menu, factory reset, nav... and it will ask what you want to delete.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC