Author Topic: How To: Replace the thermostat  (Read 112182 times)

Offline 52GTIPETE

• Not said much yet
Re: How To: Replace the thermostat
« Reply #50 on: 25 February 2013, 23:18 »
A code does come up. 1206 or something. Says problem with cooling mapping system (thermostat or temp sensor)
Both temp sensor and thermostat changed and temp now sits on 90 degrees.

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #51 on: 27 October 2013, 19:06 »
 can anyone confirm which way the stat and oring go in then? stat then oring or oring then stat

Offline Carl!

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #52 on: 12 January 2014, 00:13 »
done this today, made a nice difference to my mpg! although took me about 3 hours to complete!

Offline bikeman

• Not said much yet
« Reply #53 on: 01 March 2014, 14:44 »
Some friendly advice - unless you are a very good mechanic DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CHANGE YOUR THERMOSTAT on your mk4 1.8T

Do not be duped into looking at these pics and your £6 thermostat and thinking you can do it without removing the alternator and a whole host of other bits that are in the way - you probably can't and you will regret attempting it.

I wish someone had told me that this is a fkin pig of a job

YOU WILL BREAK YOUR DIPSTICK TUBE
and
YOU WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY FAIL TO UNDO YOUR THERMOSTAT HOUSING because the bolts are practically impossible to get a spanner/socket on.

Pay the £50 to a dealer and let them do it.

This is probably the best bit of advice you will get.... this and wear sunscreen.

Offline WadGTI

• Here all the time
  • Golf GTI'er
« Reply #54 on: 03 March 2014, 09:45 »
Some friendly advice - unless you are a very good mechanic DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CHANGE YOUR THERMOSTAT on your mk4 1.8T

Do not be duped into looking at these pics and your £6 thermostat and thinking you can do it without removing the alternator and a whole host of other bits that are in the way - you probably can't and you will regret attempting it.

I wish someone had told me that this is a fkin pig of a job

YOU WILL BREAK YOUR DIPSTICK TUBE
and
YOU WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY FAIL TO UNDO YOUR THERMOSTAT HOUSING because the bolts are practically impossible to get a spanner/socket on.

Pay the £50 to a dealer and let them do it.

This is probably the best bit of advice you will get.... this and wear sunscreen.

in all honesty it aint that hard and yeah you can do it without removing the alt. Patience and right tools is key i=on this one I think.

I would encourage anyone who wants to save £50 to do this if needed.

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #55 on: 03 March 2014, 13:00 »
^^ Rubish, took me a few hours, but i did it with out removing alt. i didnnt even have to remove the "tray" with the electrical components on, just loosened it...

dip stick i did snap, but that was as i was putting it all back togeather i sliped and snapped it  :rolleyes:

Offline northeast_gti-t

• Serious forum addict
  • "1.8T AGU"
« Reply #56 on: 04 March 2014, 21:41 »
^^ Rubish, took me a few hours, but i did it with out removing alt. i didnnt even have to remove the "tray" with the electrical components on, just loosened it...

dip stick i did snap, but that was as i was putting it all back togeather i sliped and snapped it  :rolleyes:
mine did but to be fair it was already brittle  :whistle: so i replaced it anyway had mine all sorted within the hour
2000 Mkiv GTi 1.8T AGU

Offline bikeman

• Not said much yet
« Reply #57 on: 04 March 2014, 22:17 »
I have it on good authority that the thermostat location was decided by a Citroën engineer on secondment to VW - c##t

Offline Kitten

• Just got here
« Reply #58 on: 15 June 2015, 22:10 »
Do you need any special tools for this job?