Author Topic: Pink Stuff + Exhaust = Gleaming!  (Read 4910 times)

Offline gordz

• Not said much yet
Pink Stuff + Exhaust = Gleaming!
« on: 08 March 2020, 10:26 »
To tackle my dull/dirty exhausts, bought some of this "Pink Stuff" which I've heard is meant to be the holy grail of cleaning products, and it did not disappoint!

Applied product with a sponge, left for a min or so and everything scrubbed off easily with soapy water leaving me with some gleaming tail pipes :grin:

Before...

After...

The Pink Stuff...

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
Re: Pink Stuff + Exhaust = Gleaming!
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2020, 09:51 »

Nice work sir, never heard of that 'stuff' before (no pun intended! :whistle:) I've always just stuck with my trusted Autosol though.

Begs the question of how long did you leave it for them to get that bad in the first place?! :shocked:
2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2020, 12:19 »
Exhaust tips have come up a treat. I don’t think I’d use The Pink Stuff on any other parts of the car though.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2020, 14:06 »
Not touched my Akrapovic tips in nearly 4000 miles and so they be due a good clean when spring truly here - Question: is there any specific does and don'ts with the titanium tips or can you just use the same regime as for the chrome? Autosol is what used to use on my previous R
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2020, 13:20 »
Not touched my Akrapovic tips in nearly 4000 miles and so they be due a good clean when spring truly here - Question: is there any specific does and don'ts with the titanium tips or can you just use the same regime as for the chrome? Autosol is what used to use on my previous R

I'd have thought you should be safe enough with Autosol, I'm pretty sure titanium is a much tougher material than chrome plate..... maybe test patch underneath first to make sure there is no weird reaction! :huh:
2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2020, 19:10 »
Hertsman, I'm finding no soot at all on my exhaust tips so the muck on yours is probably just regular crud. I'd try just washing them like any other mucky part of the car before touching them with an abrasive cleaner.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2020, 08:58 »
Hertsman, I'm finding no soot at all on my exhaust tips so the muck on yours is probably just regular crud. I'd try just washing them like any other mucky part of the car before touching them with an abrasive cleaner.

Probably to the horror of this section of the forum rarely touch the car in winter months aside from washing light lens which given how wet its been this year not done either.

So its thorough clean finished with a coat of collonite in Autumn and next time bucket comes out is first decent weekend day in Spring.

So not even looked closely at the Akrapovic tips to see if coked up, they just look dirty from afar but on your comment Watts I will maybe take a bucket of soapy suds to them and see if it is just does plain dirt?

Be a winner if it was, as the R tips became really difficult to keep in good shape and though always managed to get them decent looking from a standing view with plenty of elbow grease and autosol, on closer inspection there was some ingrained coking for life.

The TCR in the grey really hides the dirt well, imagine when get a bucket to it there be much more filth than seems.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2020, 09:00 »

I'd have thought you should be safe enough with Autosol, I'm pretty sure titanium is a much tougher material than chrome plate..... maybe test patch underneath first to make sure there is no weird reaction! :huh:

Hoping Watts comment plays out as the truth and the Titanium tips simply wash down, but think I would use the trusty autosol otherwise and spot test, though as you say, you expect the titanium to be tougher and be no issue

Will let everyone know how got on.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2020, 12:43 »
Just gave the TCR a 2 bucket GTechniq wash today and all the Akrapovic tailpipes needed was a standard wash down, with all the sooty elements just washing straight off to leave new looking tips - excellent!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 18 April 2020, 14:39 »
Just gave the TCR a 2 bucket GTechniq wash today and all the Akrapovic tailpipes needed was a standard wash down, with all the sooty elements just washing straight off to leave new looking tips - excellent!

Excellent! Washed mine yesterday and there is a bit of more resistant crud this time on the pipes so perhaps it's worth keeping on top of it with more regular washing.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.