Author Topic: Rear camera worth it?  (Read 11617 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Rear camera worth it?
« Reply #70 on: 19 November 2017, 23:24 »

That's what parking sensors are for, you just need to adjust them to go solid tone when 1" away from an object.

How do you adjust the sensors?

We have cameras on all our Golfs and it would definitely be the first option I'd look for on any new car.

I haven't had a look on the Golf because i dont need to but I did it on my CC but I'll have a look over the weekend.

No way anyone would have reversed into the parallel space I did yesterday without a rear camera without a lot of guess work or blind faith.
Once and for all it's a must have extra and expect a forward facing option sometime soon
Think this thread has answered the OP enough. And As such I would recommend any new golf purchaser to add it to the spec before any or no other option is selected

What space? If you have front and rear sensors makes virtually no difference when parallel parking.

The Golf is such an easy car to park due to its small size. Having been driving for only 21 years, I've had one car with a rear camera and guess which car I've reversed into something. Yes, the car with a rear camera! It also had the self park. Which is great. For drivers unable to park.

I'd say the only time I found the camera very useful was reversing out a driveway as the wide angle lens meant you could see if say the road was clear. Again, less of a problem in the Golf as opposed a saloon car. Guess for £295 it's not a bad price but it's not as people are suggesting a 'must have Golf option'.

I’m with you on this. I have the reverse camera as it was a cheap add-on and for the price it was then a bit of a no-brainer to spec.  But I use it a fraction of the time and if it wasn’t there would barely notice and definitely not miss it. Not on my list of must-haves.   If you can’t park a golf without a rear view camera then you can’t park.
« Last Edit: 19 November 2017, 23:28 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #71 on: 20 November 2017, 06:44 »
Why is everyone saying if you can't park without a camera then you can't park!! It's got bugger all to do with being capable of parking and it's a visual aid. It doesn't suddenly render you incapable of your parking skills because you tick the rear camera on the spec sheet. It's a cheap optional extra that costs far more to retro fit so if you have one then excellent if you don't have one then that's also excellent. Ffs 8 pages on a rear camera!!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #72 on: 20 November 2017, 08:21 »
Why is everyone saying if you can't park without a camera then you can't park!! It's got bugger all to do with being capable of parking and it's a visual aid. It doesn't suddenly render you incapable of your parking skills because you tick the rear camera on the spec sheet. It's a cheap optional extra that costs far more to retro fit so if you have one then excellent if you don't have one then that's also excellent. Ffs 8 pages on a rear camera!!

Completely agree. My last car didn't even have parking sensors, so I know I didn't spec it because of any inability to park. I have it because it's relatively inexpensive and from time to time it makes those unforeseen tricky reversing manoeuvres that little bit easier. Some on here only ever use reverse gear for parking, try reversing down a narrow winding country lane when there's something coming the other way. It's times like that the camera is there to help. Ffs, it's not like it reverses the car for you! Did people that specced DSG do so because they are incapable of changing gear?
7.5 GTD

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #73 on: 20 November 2017, 09:20 »
 :grin: :grin: :grin:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #74 on: 20 November 2017, 09:41 »
Did people that specced DSG do so because they are incapable of changing gear?

I'm sure I can find that argument from previously too :D
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #75 on: 20 November 2017, 12:22 »

you can change gear in a DSG 🤔

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #76 on: 20 November 2017, 12:25 »

Yes, really really fast and smooth.  :laugh:

And if you are very lucky, you can push a button to start the engine too.   :grin:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #77 on: 20 November 2017, 12:33 »
Yep, little button starts the engine, and 2 little paddles change the gear, and another little button means you don't need the peddles 😃

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #78 on: 20 November 2017, 12:55 »

You sure can, with the help of the clever gearbox doing most of the work for you.
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #79 on: 20 November 2017, 13:01 »
Tis the devils work I tell you! Witchcraft!

Much better when to change gear you had to stop, dismantle the engine and swap the cog out!

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC