Author Topic: Nav in dash  (Read 2776 times)

Offline buttons

• Not said much yet
Nav in dash
« on: 01 February 2021, 11:36 »
Good morning all,

I dropped the car back to the dealer today for a couple of issues and noticed that on the loan car they gave me, the Nav displays in-between the dials when I change the view.
This doesn't happen on mine.
It's something I asked when I collected but the guy handing it over didnt know and suggested that it must be an option....
(although i didnt see a choice like this when i was looking at options)

I dont know the spec on this loan car but it seems very basic so i'd find it strange that this has been spec'd and nothing esle.

Does it display on yours?

« Last Edit: 01 February 2021, 11:54 by buttons »
MK8 GTi: Adelaide 19", DCC, Winter Pack, Rear Camera and sh!t loads of software issues! ;-)

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: Nav in dash
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2021, 11:58 »
I've read elsewhere that it didn't work in early cars and a software update sorts it.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2021, 11:59 »
Needs MIB software version 1788.

Which also enables wireless android auto.

I've not seen anyone in the UK say they have this version but new German vehicles have it.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline buttons

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2021, 12:20 »
sounds promising - Hopefully it will be sorted when its with them then because I'm hoping that they will do updates as a few of the issues are to do with the infotainment :-)
MK8 GTi: Adelaide 19", DCC, Winter Pack, Rear Camera and sh!t loads of software issues! ;-)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2021, 12:31 »
1788 seems to fix a lot of issues, including crashes and freezes.

Getting it might be hard though - it seems talking to my dealer that VW are being a bit funny about software releases and will only allow the dealer to install ANY updated software if:

1) Its covered by a VW recall (thats not an actualy recall as in writing you a letter, just one that gets done next time it sees a VW workshop)

2) If you bring in your car complaining about a fault and they can correctly describe the issue to VW and VW suggest a software upgrade.

I'm not exactly over the moon about this being the case.

In my opinion, every time the car is plugged into the workshop ALL software should be updated to the latest versions.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Kgti8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2021, 13:00 »
I thought you had to have Discover Pro to view the sat back in the dash? Have a GTI on order with just the standard Disc Media. Pro is not even an option in Ireland although I’m still not sure what exactly you get for £1600.

I have Pro in my MK7.5 and would actually miss not being able to view the nav in the dash.
2021 MK8 Manual | Oryx White, Estorils, DCC, Winter Pack, HK, Pan Roof, Rear Camera, Vienna Leather

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2021, 13:22 »
No, you definitely don't need to have pro, you just need to have the right software. Definitely.

The more I read about the differences between Pro and basic on the Mk8, the more I conclude the differences are (in Germany):

* gesture control (its crap)
* nav on both screens at once (its not actually different hardware, its definitely VW enabling it - on the Mk7 it was different hardware)
* extended voice control - no idea what extra things you can do, but its more
* a three year guide and inform subscription, rather than 1 year

As I say, that's Germany, quite what UK/Ireland offers....

Basically anyone ticking the 1600GBP option box right now is bonkers - and I have had NavPro twice previously on Mk7's.

Offline Kgti8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2021, 18:52 »
Brilliant, thanks for that.

£1,600 is definitely a waste of money for all of that. Gesture control in the MK7 is a gimmick. I’m sure my Disc Pro was €850 or something at the time and that give you a bigger screen.

Funny enough the GTE comes with Pro as standard here, a generous addition based on the UK price...
2021 MK8 Manual | Oryx White, Estorils, DCC, Winter Pack, HK, Pan Roof, Rear Camera, Vienna Leather

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2021, 20:14 »
GTE Navpro is even more expensive IIRC....

1800GBP?

The GTE one has this thing where it shows you a range radius at all times.

Although quite why that matters if you have a hybrid...

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 03 February 2021, 16:27 »
Just FYI, I activated my We Connect for my new Mk8 with basic nav today.

I've got 3 years of guide and inform included.

So that's another thing we can cross off of what NavPro offers.