Author Topic: HUD and polorised sunglasses  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
HUD and polorised sunglasses
« on: 26 January 2021, 12:25 »
I love polarised sunglasses. They are especially good at this time of the year with low sun reflecting of wet roads. The problem is, the the head-up display in my wife's car almost vanishes when I put on my sunglasses.

I was watching a youtube video and the fella said there was no point having the HUD as it doesn't work with sunglasses. :cry:

What are other peoples' thoughts and experiences of the head-up display?

« Last Edit: 26 January 2021, 12:27 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: HUD and polorised sunglasses
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2021, 12:47 »
Yes its generally a problem with the technology and the Mk8 user guide says "Sunglasses with polarising filters can negatively affect the readability of the display."

I should add, I don't wear sunglasses unless i'm suffering from snow blindness on the snow in the Alps.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2021, 14:24 »
I remember on my Mk6 GTD the centre screen looked funny through polarised sunglasses.

I didn't realise that pilots don't/can't wear polarised sunglasses. Aircraft windscreens may be polarised or have coatings that don't work with polarised sunglasses. Also, it can reduce visibility of digital instrument displays from certain angles. :nerd:

Do you ever notice some on-coming car windscreens look a lot different through polarised lenses? It might be anti-glare or heat reducing coatings, heated windscreens or bullet proofing.  :nerd:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2021, 14:38 »
The CAA say:

Polarised lenses reduce the amount of light passing through the lens by selective filtering of certain electromagnetic spectral planes.  These lenses can cause distortion patterns from certain laminated cockpit windshields.  They can also alter cloud appearance and reduce ground reflections useful for VFR pilots.  The use of these sunglasses is therefore discouraged.

I don't know if civillian aircraft make much use of HUD's, military aircraft certainly have done for a few decades now, although I think that tech has changed to projections onto helmet visors or even directly into the eyes.

I guess Maverick has to just wear his shades on the ground now  :laugh:

Something I can tell you about is polarised filters for photography.... you can see all sorts of weird effects from those, especially on things like plastics on motorbikes.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2021, 15:48 »
I have found a solution...

:grin:

Offline kevinm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2021, 16:44 »
My daily driver has had HUD for nearly 4 years now. I just got a second pair of sunglasses with non-polarised lenses which permanently live in the car.
Current: His: 2020 M340i   Hers: 2019 GTD

Previous:
2014 GTI PP DSG
GTI ED30 DSG