Author Topic: Clubsport collection tomorrow  (Read 5572 times)

Offline HA54SYM`

• I live here
Re: Clubsport collection tomorrow
« Reply #10 on: 20 January 2021, 18:09 »
Sorry wrong reply, enjoy your Clubby.

I enjoyed my test drive of one, but didn't find it special enough to buy one just yet.
« Last Edit: 20 January 2021, 18:58 by HA54SYM` »
94 - Roversport Tomcat Racecar

Offline JRR1988

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 20 January 2021, 19:09 »
Wrote in error
« Last Edit: 20 January 2021, 19:12 by JRR1988 »
Current and going imminently - MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack, DSG, Black

CANCELED - MK8 GTI Clubsport, Reflex Silver, 19” Adelaide Wheels, Winter Pack

Offline ClubsportMk8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 20 January 2021, 20:47 »

I enjoyed my test drive of one, but didn't find it special enough to buy one just yet.

That’s pretty much how I felt about the last Golf R, it was very competent but didn’t feel special enough to justify the change from the Mini I had at the time. My priorities have changed a little now and I wanted a fast car that could do everything and I think the Clubsport fits that bill. I was originally looking at a standard GTI but the Clubsport came in at just over £31k so made it a no brainer for me.
Gone: Mk8 GTI Clubsport
Gone: Audi A8
Gone: Mini JCW
Gone: BMW X4M competition
Gone: Porsche 718 Boxster S
Gone: BMW M4 competition

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #13 on: 20 January 2021, 20:56 »
Quote from: HA54SYM

What does special feel like? It's a thirty ish grand serial produced mass model of the worlds best selling car design...

It's not hand built in Italy and only one of ten :laugh:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline HA54SYM`

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 21 January 2021, 08:29 »
Quote from: HA54SYM

What does special feel like? It's a thirty ish grand serial produced mass model of the worlds best selling car design...

It's not hand built in Italy and only one of ten :laugh:

:grin: I know, it was nothing wrong with the ride or performance, it was more the little details as I had it in my head (wrongly) that this was the new Clubsport ie Mk8 follow on which it isn't, its just a GTi PP so was expecting to see some more trim bling, Clubsport badge, red stich on the seat belts etc. It doesn't even have a GTI badge on the seats like the R has and if you sit in it and open the door looking at the door card, you could think you was in a S model trim, those door cards and switches for the windows look terrible.

It wouldn't take much to make it a little bit more bling on the outside either, as I was not keen on the matt black skirts and splitters, but am hoping a Edition 45 would take care of all of the above.

I might still pull the trigger on one however as I was impressed with the drive, and right now we need a 5 door car over our current 3 door, but if you look at the BMW 128Ti trim and kit, it seems to feel that bit more special on the inside than the GTi/Clubsport. I want to test drive one first though to compare.

Offline HA54SYM`

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 21 January 2021, 08:31 »

That’s pretty much how I felt about the last Golf R, it was very competent but didn’t feel special enough to justify the change from the Mini I had at the time. My priorities have changed a little now and I wanted a fast car that could do everything and I think the Clubsport fits that bill. I was originally looking at a standard GTI but the Clubsport came in at just over £31k so made it a no brainer for me.

Whats your spec on the Clubsport, as thats a good price. I'm seeing some good deals on coast2coast which are tempting too.

Offline Powerman80

• Not said much yet
  • Auto professional & lover
« Reply #16 on: 21 January 2021, 09:27 »
I'm curious, how much is the road tax on that kind of car in the UK?
(I just want to hurt myself)

Marco
=============
Hello from Milan Italy

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #17 on: 21 January 2021, 09:36 »
I might still pull the trigger on one however as I was impressed with the drive, and right now we need a 5 door car over our current 3 door, but if you look at the BMW 128Ti trim and kit, it seems to feel that bit more special on the inside than the GTi/Clubsport. I want to test drive one first though to compare.

I've seen a 128ti... its not really "special" its just BMW. It feels like a BMW - which is either a good thing or a bad one.

I suspect when eventually we get to see some comparison reviews people will say the Clubby is a much better drivers car than the 128ti....

I'd say that if you can stand the hard ride and the wretched seats, the 128ti is better than the GTI, but not better than the Clubby.

And probably when the R reviews come in, the R is pretty much the best hot hatch out there except the A45 has more power (and price) and the Type R is better on a track.

So many different levels within "hot hatch" these days, the main deciding factors when picking are price and just how much suspension hardness you can suffer.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Powerman80

• Not said much yet
  • Auto professional & lover
« Reply #18 on: 21 January 2021, 09:57 »

I've seen a 128ti... its not really "special" its just BMW. It feels like a BMW - which is either a good thing or a bad one.

I suspect when eventually we get to see some comparison reviews people will say the Clubby is a much better drivers car than the 128ti....

I sat in it. But honestly, the very fact that it's a "sporty" BMW with FWD makes it almost feel not special enough to me... And honestly, everyone complains for the MK8 interior but the 128 doesn't seem ages away
« Last Edit: 21 January 2021, 10:03 by Powerman80 »
Marco
=============
Hello from Milan Italy

Offline ClubsportMk8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 21 January 2021, 10:01 »

Whats your spec on the Clubsport, as thats a good price. I'm seeing some good deals on coast2coast which are tempting too.

Basic spec car in white, I think all of the in stock cars at the moment are the same. I got the car from Beadles in Chelmsford and they beat both Drive the Deal and my 2 closest dealers. Overall, very happy with the deal and service.
Gone: Mk8 GTI Clubsport
Gone: Audi A8
Gone: Mini JCW
Gone: BMW X4M competition
Gone: Porsche 718 Boxster S
Gone: BMW M4 competition