Author Topic: Mk 8 GTE for 1 wk  (Read 4371 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Mk 8 GTE for 1 wk
« Reply #10 on: 10 November 2020, 14:07 »
Got any thoughts so far @CarbonGTD?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 10 November 2020, 14:44 »
Confused thoughts Fred!

I will try to write up some comprehensible notes after it has gone back this w/end.

In short though - imho the reported chassis improvements for Mk 8 are real - the Mk 8 GTE handles and steers even better than my Mk 7.5 GTI PP (granted my car is on GTI suspension and 19" Brescias vs GTE suspension and 18" wheels).  It just feels more planted and better damped - it's very impressive to drive swiftly - a very controlled chassis set up.

However with almost everything else I prefer my 7.5 GTI PP.  There is not a single exterior angle that the Mk 8 looks better from.  The interior of the Mk 8 is slabby and hard plastic and no kind of forward step for me.  And whilst I do like the size/shape/feel of the new Mk 8 steering wheel, I hate the 'buttons' on it (which are not buttons at all and feel horrible).  And don't start me on the shiny plastic heating 'sliders' etc - all just nasty. 

Interestingly/surprisingly (to me) what has worked best with the GTE has been the pure electric drive (ie when fully charged).  I managed to drive all the way into work (25 miles) without using a single thimble full of petrol, and that was including motorway driving - it was quite happy using full electric at 80 mph and pulling.  It was super smooth and quiet under full electric and every bit brisk enough for commuting.

So I both love it/hate it.  Total mixed bag.  But the bottom line is I will be v glad to get back into my own car because it is the classic 9/10 package at everything - it looks fantastic (inside and out), goes great, steers great - there are just no 'buts' about it, and that simply cannot be said about the Mk 8.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 10 November 2020, 15:09 »
Interesting!

Have a look back up this thread though and see if you will be able to answer the other questions.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 10 November 2020, 19:39 »
Interesting thoughts. It’s such a shame that nearly everybody says the same thing about the interior. Slabs of plastic is probably a good description. I do wonder if it’s more about the texture of these plastics as they have none unlike the Mk7. They definitely feel cheaper even if they might not actually be.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 11 November 2020, 09:50 »
Are the steering wheel buttons 'touch' as well? That seems a terrible move!
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 11 November 2020, 10:26 »
Are the steering wheel buttons 'touch' as well? That seems a terrible move!

I watched a Volkswizard review yesterday where he said he kept accidentally putting the steering wheel heater on due to the touch sensitive controls on the wheel.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 11 November 2020, 10:30 »
I guess you might get used to the 'touch' buttons after a while. Am waiting for local VW garage to get a GTI demo in - have told me end of the month.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 11 November 2020, 11:18 »
I think CarbonGTD should be able to answer a lot of questions about the controls, because after a week he should have gotten reasonably used to it....

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 11 November 2020, 13:25 »
Yes jv the steering wheel buttons are 'touch' as well (and I'm not sure I would ever get used to them Fred).  They are not actually buttons at all on the steering wheel any more - instead they are two gloss black plastic 'pads' which are back lit.  The 'pads' feel pretty horrible when you press on them and yes it's easy to accidentally turn on the heated steering wheel etc. 

Nb - the Audio volume control part of the left steering wheel 'pad' you can still press down on (in the conventional way) to increase/decrease vol, but you can now also slide your finger across the pad (to the left of the steering wheel pad to reduce vol or to the right to increase vol).  I'm not a fan I'm afraid.  But others may think it's great.

Offline karlos

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 11 November 2020, 13:41 »

In short though - imho the reported chassis improvements for Mk 8 are real - the Mk 8 GTE handles and steers even better than my Mk 7.5 GTI PP (granted my car is on GTI suspension and 19" Brescias vs GTE suspension and 18" wheels).  It just feels more planted and better damped - it's very impressive to drive swiftly - a very controlled chassis set up.

I wonder how much of that is down to the extra weight and lower C of G due to the battery pack?

The Golf R has more planted and less playful handling than the GTI, and I've always put that down to the extra low-down weight rather than anything special with the suspension.
2017 (67) GTI PP DSG. Tungsten Silver with DCC, Art Velours, Dynaudio, Climate Screen, Tints, Keyless, Rear Camera, Lane Assist, Seville wheels.